The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new left-over 2020 Sentra S Plus yesterday and was reading the maintenance schedule in the manual and it says 12000 km (7500 miles) interval for Oil Changes! Wow is that what everyone is following? Seems like a lot. We have two other Nissan's, a 2020 Rogue and a 2018 Frontier and the interval is 8000 kms.

·
Registered
396 Posts
With a high quality fully synthetic motor oil like Mobil-1, you can extend the oil change interval considerably. A good rule of thumb - always replace the oil filter at least every 2,000 - 3,000 mi. I've had and have several Nissan vehicles and my oil change interval has always been every 12,000 mi using a fully synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
With a high quality fully synthetic motor oil like Mobil-1, you can extend the oil change interval considerably. A good rule of thumb - always replace the oil filter at least every 2,000 - 3,000 mi. I've had and have several Nissan vehicles and my oil change interval has always been every 12,000 mi using a fully synthetic oil.
Why so soon on the oil filter change?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why so soon on the oil filter change?
As the motor oil circulates through the engine, it accumulates contaminants (more specifically, tiny particles like metal, dirt, etc.). If the oil filter was changed at the same time as the actual oil itself, it would eventually become too saturated with contaminants. This would result in the dirty oil damaging the components within the engine (like the oil pump or bearings). So my way of thinking is to replace the filter more frequently; cheap insurance. I've been doing this for many years and it's worked for me; the engines seem to last longer.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Look at the puny size of a Nissan filter and it becomes obvious. I use one about 3X bigger on the Versa and change it at same time as the oil and 9000 mile OCI using Walmart conventional oil. Can't kill the cars doing it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm using conventional 10w40 and doing oil/filter at 7500 mile intervals on my '16 Versa. Oil is still a dark amber on the dipstick at 7500 miles. Back in the days of carburetors oil was dirtier/blacker after 3000 miles than mine is at 7500 miles today.

AMC49, what brand/number oil filter are you using on your Versa?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I'll have to dig the number up. For a Jeep or Mopar thinking.

A weird application, the gasket actually runs on the outside edge of the filter pad about 2/3 on and 1/3 off but tightened enough absolutely does NOT leak even a drop. In fact the being close to the edge makes the o-ring even more likely to never blow out as the filter ring groove then keeps it solidly in place. You do need to go slightly past hand tight, I tighten until the filter pulls on the pad stiff enough to collapse the gasket into the groove and it stays bone dry around the edge and now on like filter 6 or 7 doing it. When you see the pad imprint on filter gasket you will of course say 'oh NO!' but it is NOT a problem.

You do need to do a first time clean of the outside pad OD and I used a razor blade laid over at maybe a 30 degree angle to carefully scrape all corrosion and debris off without damaging aluminum.

Mod works like gangbusters if you can wrap your head around the pad contact issue. MR18 motor.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
'87 Jeep. I use O'Reilly house brand MGL51626. Wix with same numbers works and a better filter. I live cheap at $5.50 each OTC. The end plates are steel and not cardboard like some cheap ones are. Fram PH3985 may be the exact same part. Thread, bypass pressure, ADB valve, and clearance to parts on MR18 are good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The gasket fitment was what I was wondering about. I knew I'd never saw a small diameter filter with as much filtering media as you said this one has. I've currently got 9 filters left from the dozen that I bought at Rock Auto when I bought my Versa. The filter for the Versa is the smallest filter I've ever had on any of my vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts