The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For whatever reason a dealer is failing my BIL's Altima for a leak in the oil cooler. I'm looking at the gasket and it appears to be $1 list yet the parts guy at the dealership said it was $35. Am I missing something else that I can't see in the diagram? Also I was looking and see they want you to drain the oil and coolant. If you just remove the screws and have a pan under the car, can't you just get to that and add any additional oil needed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
If you raise the passenger side high enough that the oil is more towards the driver's side youll be fine. It is possible to replace the gasket without draining the antifreeze as well. Just dont remove the coolant lines from the oil cooler. Its tight doing it this way but completely possible. As for the part....it is not more than a $3.00 part. the parts guy is looking at his computer screen upside down or something. Get the part from another dealership where the parts personall will do you the favor of rotating the computer screen to show you the diagram. They act like its a matter of national security.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's what I found on one of the web sites but wanted to confirm. I'll give it a try and worst case I have to drain the coolant.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
No worries. Glad to help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had let the car sit for several hours before I started working on this. I had very little oil escape (maybe a quarter sized drop). It was very simple to replace it without having to drain any coolant or oil. The only thing was I couldn't get my torque wrench in there to properly torque the nuts and bolts. I didn't over tighten them but just enough. I just can't understand how a dealership would charge $211 for this when it took me under 30 minutes to do it without a lift.

I understand dealerships need to make money but this is robbery.

And it's not like the person who is going to re-inspect the car will know if it has been replaced. There is still oil from before I changed the gasket which I wasn't able to clean off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car passed inspection. I was a bit peeved that they marked up the inspection sticker for $6.50. In our state the sticker costs $2. So much for a free inspection with the purchase of the car. I know it's peanuts but still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts