The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I have been using Mobil 1 with either Wix or Royal Purple filters since I bought my '14 Altima 2.5S. I found some info on Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and found it to be slightly cheaper then Mobil 1 at Walmart. The reviews for the new Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Plat. seem to nothing short of "amazing". Any opinions or experiences?

Obviously this is a 4cyl Altima and not a Lexus RC F Sport so probably anything more than standard synthetic is overkill, I just want my engine to last and obviously luck out with normal maintenance haha.

Note: Since I got the car I always felt my MPG was poor, averaging around 26-28mpg since day 1 (now with 11k miles on it). I don't really do highway nor city driving, just daily suburban commuting averaging about 15-20mins from garage to base. The claims on the Pennzoil seem to be anywhere from 1-3mpg per tank better but how much better can it honestly be than mobil 1 w/ a quality filter?

Thanks guys!

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

5w20 synthetic blend during the first two oil & filter changes at the dealership.......and full-synthetic 5w20 (did it myself) the last time. The dealership did a change at 3,700 miles and then again at 7,500 or so with the synthetic blend OEM-spec motor oil. I did it myself at 12,000 miles with Mobil-1 FULL synthetic.

Going to change it this afternoon - just turned 17,000 miles on it last night. After just about 5,000 since the last change, the Mobil-1 5w20 oil barely looks dirty. I am kind of "old school" and believe that you can never change oil too often.

I always treat a car as though I will have it for 200,000 miles - and tend to take good care of my vehicles. My old 2004 Silverado gets Mobil-1 about every 4,000 miles and still runs like a champ.

The engine in the new Altima must really run "clean" - as the oil looks less dirty after 4,000 miles than it does in any other vehicle I ever owned.

Stick with a good-quality motor oil and use the correct viscosity. Change it MORE OFTEN than the manufacturer recommends and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts

5w20 synthetic blend during the first two oil & filter changes at the dealership.......and full-synthetic 5w20 (did it myself) the last time. The dealership did a change at 3,700 miles and then again at 7,500 or so with the synthetic blend OEM-spec motor oil. I did it myself at 12,000 miles with Mobil-1 FULL synthetic.

Going to change it this afternoon - just turned 17,000 miles on it last night. After just about 5,000 since the last change, the Mobil-1 5w20 oil barely looks dirty. I am kind of "old school" and believe that you can never change oil too often.

I always treat a car as though I will have it for 200,000 miles - and tend to take good care of my vehicles. My old 2004 Silverado gets Mobil-1 about every 4,000 miles and still runs like a champ.

The engine in the new Altima must really run "clean" - as the oil looks less dirty after 4,000 miles than it does in any other vehicle I ever owned.

Stick with a good-quality motor oil and use the correct viscosity. Change it MORE OFTEN than the manufacturer recommends and you'll be just fine.
fine i'll do it at every 7.5k :( i was gonna try to minic toyota/scion w/ 10k

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts
fine i'll do it at every 7.5k :( i was gonna try to minic toyota/scion w/ 10k

I am sure I could go longer between changes......but it is 'cheap insurance' and peace of mind for me. In the grand scheme of things, spending less than thirty bucks for 5 quarts of oil and a filter is a pittance when compared to a $20,000 vehicle.

It's nice to have a car that runs well long after the payments have ended.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

And what is the correct viscosity for the 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5?

Why would you change oil more often than the manufacturer recommends?

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

1. The correct viscosity for my purposes is 5w20, although any good synthetic in 5w30 would be more than adequate. Some folks like 0w20 oil, but that is probably more suitable for Alaska or the Yukon than the mid-Atlantic states (such as VA, where I live). I use 5w20 synthetic in the Altima and 5w30 synthetic in my old Silverado.

2. The manufacturers tend to recommend oil change intervals that are far too long for what most "normal" do to their cars. It's part of planned obsolescence where they might not want your car to last practically forever.

I have always been skeptical of those 7,500-mile oil change intervals - especially with dino oil. Since I change my own oil, I can rest assured that it is done right, I stay covered under my warranty and still save money. I can do it myself with fully synthetic oil and it costs less than having a shop do it with dino oil.

I suppose I am just 'old school" and a bit set in my ways. I've never had an oil-related difficulty with any car or truck I have owned. Peace of mind, I guess.

I just changed the oil in my 2015 Altima earlier today. 5w30 full synthetic and almost exactly 5,000 miles have rolled by since the last oil change. Traveling to PA next weekend, so I figured it would be good to hit it now before the weather turns worse.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Castrol 5-30 Synthetic Blend every 5k @ the dealership. $22

Reactions: JK 23112

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

That's not too shabby at all.........but I still prefer FULL synthetic. That's just me, though.

If you use OEM-quality synthetic blend, you should still be just fine. I am a creature of habit - and have always been stubborn about changing oil frequently.

I also open the oil pan plug and let ALL of the oil drain out. I drive my car to make the oil HOT as possible before changing it and go make lunch while it is draining into my black plastic tub. I also install a new filter every oil change as well (a no-brainer). I have a friend who insists on changing the oil filter only every other time, which is like taking a shower and putting on dirty underwear in my opinion.

It is not REQUIRED, but I believe it is a good idea to use a 'crush washer' when re-installing the oil pan drain plug. It will help to stave off any minor leaks.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

For what it's worth, I use a #7317 oil filter (instead of the #6607) which is used in the V6 Maxima. It is a bit longer and still easily fits behind the little 'trap door' thing that protects it from debris. I did the same thing with my old 2002 Sentra, which also calls for the #6607 filter.

It also lets you use the full five quarts of oil instead of 4.9 quarts that you need if you use the smaller #6607 filter. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
In order to make sure you have no warranty issues, you really are stuck having to change every 5k per Nissan's requirement. I did a good bit of reading/research on the issue of changing frequency not too long ago. I also have only been using Mobil One full synthetic as it performs at the top of the pack.

I've read on forums where people have taken their Mobil One after 10k miles and had it sent to labs and tested. The results consistently come back that the oil does not even break down at that point or is dirty and would be fine to run for 14k or so. This is according to professional testing labs. 5k for Mobil One is overkill as is. Also, how "dirty" the oil looks has little/nothing to do with the actual condition of the oil.

As for filters, I also stick with WIX. Their filters test very well. I haven't really read up on the Pennzoil Platinum, but I do not see that with changing every 5k it is going to make a bit of difference whether you go with Mobil One or Pennzoil as the oil is less than half way through its usable life as is at 5k anyway. Either way, I prefer to use and stick with one brand of motor oil rather than changing back and forth, and I've been using Mobil One in all 3 of our vehicles.

I found an incredibly interesting site Googling that ranks oils according to very precise testing. Very interesting reading. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

I know I could go longer with the Mobil-1 (or other "full" synthetic) oil, but it's just peace of mind AND knowing that I stay within my warranty requirements.

Synthetic oil lasts longer than dino oil and doesn't break down as quickly..........but since it still can "look" dirty, I don't want to take any chances. Of course, the oil looks cleaner in the Altima after 5,000 miles than it does in my old Silverado after 3,500. Maybe the Altima "burns" cleaner. I don't know.

I checked my air filter element Saturday when I changed my oil. At 17,000 miles, it still appears to have a lot of life left in it (barely dirty). I suppose I will pop for a new one during the next oil change.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This will surely throw some of you into cold sweats, but when I switched over to full synthetic I started using a 10k OCI, and have had zero problems. I think I could go longer. I used the same OCI on my last vehicle with full synthetic, and finally sold it at 205k+ miles. No issues.

This car is driven a lot, and almost exclusively on highways. 10k OCIs occur every 3 months, tops. The car is a 2013 with 85k miles and climbing.

By the way, the appearance of oil has absolutely nothing to do with when it needs to be changed. If the oil is dark, it's doing its job.

·
Registered
364 Posts
2. The manufacturers tend to recommend oil change intervals that are far too long for what most "normal" do to their cars. It's part of planned obsolescence where they might not want your car to last practically forever.
100% false. The manufacturers are finally recommending OCIs more in line with reality, and less in line with making sure the dealers get paid for an oil change every 3,000 miles.

When manufacturers started paying for maintenance on certain cars (e.g. 2 years paid maintenance), it finally became financially advantageous to admit that a 10k OCI or longer is just fine in many cases.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic European Car Formula 0W-40. Knocked down on how much oil consumption I was seeing and how much oil was being burned with cold starts.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
369 Posts
Can some one tell me what is the flute size on the oil filter? Trying to make sure i get the right size filter wrench thanks.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Can some one tell me what is the flute size on the oil filter? Trying to make sure i get the right size filter wrench thanks.
Look for 'Ridiculously Small'. I use my standard steel strap wrench (think 80's V8) with some rubber packing to get enough tension around the filter body. Swear that sucker is smaller than the piston in these engines.

Maybe something like this?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Most aftermarket filters are 2.69"/68mm in diameter. So this would do Robot Check

1 - 20 of 30 Posts