The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the Nissans in my driveway have different oil filters?

Filter length and diameter are different but the threads look the same and O-ring placement is the same.

Anyone know if they are interchangeable? The bigger filters have more oil capacity and more filter area(?) then the smaller ones. And could possible have less oil pressure drop also.

I am making an assumption that oil Nissan filters are of same quality and have anti-drainback valves.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
well a Nissan OEM and a Mobil 1 are different size, but work the same.
the bigger ones might not have more filter area if the filter material is kinda skimpy. a smaller one might pack more in.

but yeah, its wierd. when I first did my 99's oil, they didn't have the oil filter book listing a 99, so I got a 98's instead thinking they were the same. they weren't.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I noticed that the Altima has room for the bigger filter(that my Sentra uses). The Xterra has no extra room and the bigger filter doesn't fit.

Did you use the filter that wasn't the same?

I am thinking of sticking a new Altima small filter on the Sentra(guinea pig). It has 180,000 miles and is due for retirement soon.

Mobil1 filters cost too much. I have one on my RX and will cut it open at the next oil change. I then will make a judgement call on its quality(but I think that it is the best).

I have to email this guy later this week. I am tired of paying dealer $7-8 for OEM filter.
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32838

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.