The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
20s because size matters
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am doing my Intake spacers. I pull my upper intake manifold off and find a good bit of oil.

Now I know when I had my American engines. If there was oil you change the PCV. I stopped at my local dealer. They tell me they never heard such a thing. I asked about the PCV. He tells me that they have not sold one in about 4 years and it would be 2 days or more on shipping. The shitty part is that is is easier to access with the UIM off.

So now I am left holding the balls. Has anyone here ever seen this or delt with a issue like this.

On another note. I wanted to change to Iridium plugs. Advanced auto carries nothing and the dealer does not do Iridium. Does anyone know a local place I would be able to get them. That might have them in stock. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Still #1 in 2017
5,274 Posts
Oil-blow-by. It's normal with our engines. Install a catch-can.

·
VQ35DE
1,846 Posts
Suicidalspd99 said:
pcv to the catch can. makes sense. Thanks

The catch can is a great idea - but if at all possible, do change the PCV valve and rubber o-ring if you can find it somewhere.

·
Still #1 in 2017
5,274 Posts
mikehawk said:
I thought the stock plugs were ngk iridium.
NGK Double Platinums I think are OEM.

·
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
4,007 Posts
^It's not a be all and end all, but it can help. There's a long thread in here somewhere you can search and find out the best parts to use to either install, or make your own catch can. From what I understand, it may be a good idea to have one hooked up to each bank of the engine. il_, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

·
VQ35DE
1,846 Posts
^You're absolutely right froedrick... Two catch cans are ideal, because the rear bank has the PCV valve attached to it while the front bank has the breather hose.

Normally, people only put a catch can on the PCV line because it always flows out of the crankcase and into the manifold. The breather line is often ignored because it normally allows fresh air into the crankcase.

However, under hard acceleration, high loads, or high RPM, there could be so much blow-by that the PCV hose alone cannot evacuate, thus air flow direction gets reversed in the breather line causing oil to get into the intake that way.

Thus, both the PCV and breather hoses should have catch cans on them if you're going to do it properly. However, if you can only do one of them, the PCV is most important in this case.

·
Registered
723 Posts
anyone have any more info or pics to share of what they used for a catchcan setup? Thanks.
Kamski had a writeup on the subject. I don't have the link. You can see the pic of my catch can here:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, looks like a small oil coalescing filter. Got a part number or manufacturer? Thanks for the info.

·
never take it to the shop
2,202 Posts
a couple people including myself remove the air intake lines totally and put a breather filter right on the valve cover nipple to keep all the oil out of the intake assembly. I have not had any problems whatsover. You can vent to the small air filter or to a catch can its up to you. Check out chernmax on maxima.or or cardomain he removed his also.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks, looks like a small oil coalescing filter. Got a part number or manufacturer? Thanks for the info.
Got everything at Home Depot... Husky Air compressor filter, a couple of connectors, and hose clamps.

·
search you n00b!!!
3,546 Posts
i am doing the spacer install here in about an hour.:woot:

i am changing out the pcv and installing a catch can on the pcv side.

i am doing this solo, so i will try to take pics... don't count on it though...:sad:

·
20s because size matters
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I need to do that catch can.

pipeline: make sure your local dealer has the PCV in stock. MY local dealer would of needed to order it. Idk what you have for miles, but do the plugs as well if you want.
If you can post pictures of how you did the catch can off the PCV. Thanks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
BTW... I've had the catch can on the PCV hose, and I've had no oil collected in there, just a slightly dirty filter in the catch can.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts