The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Energy Liberation Front
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just noticed recently that I'm leaking oil. It's coming from the oil pan.....and the bolt that you remove to change oil is all goobaly globby, I haven't changed the oil yet on the car, have had it for under 2 months, so it's about due....but I'm a little worried that it's comming from somewhere other than the spout...like from a seal or something, because a good portion of the oil pan looks wet. It leaks quite a bit, and I can see oil condensed into a drop waiting to fall, right below the bolt. I haven't pinpointed where the exact problem is yet, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what signs to look out for, and how I can tell if it's a serious leak or not. I'm relatively new to cars, so I'm kinda lost without assistance. Oh, and excuse the terminology, or lack there of. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're lucky it is either a worn washer on the bolt or a worn oil pan gasket. Hopefully.

Washer can be changed with the next oil change. So can the gasket, but it will take a little longer to change.

Maybe others can lead you to other areas to take a look at. The year and mileage on your car would help others out too.

·
Energy Liberation Front
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Stan, it's a 95 with about 96,000 miles.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
well I'd clean the area really well. Then maybe drive it abit and jack it up and see. Its either a gasket, or the bolt.

the key is to clean it up and with a flashlight, look around the gastket area for leaks...

·
Banned
982 Posts
I dont know what year your alty is, but if its a 1st gen, if its either the gasket or the bolt washer, they are very easy to change. If you get the car lifted high enough, you can change the gasket in under 30 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts