The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an oil leak coming from my timing cover and i was reading in my altima book and it say that i have to take apart the top of the motor and i was wondering if there was an easier way of fixing this leak? i have a 2.4 engine. this freakin oil leak is pissing me off..i throw more money into buying oil..problem needs to be fixed..but it's to cold to fix in this cold weather.

·
East Los Customs
253 Posts
it's probably your crank seal behind the crank pulley. the seal isn't very expensive, like a couple of dollars.I'm planning on changing mine cause it's also leaking, but I haven't had time yet so I can't tell you if it's easy to do. from what I hear though it's fairly easy.

·
projected member
919 Posts
if tis the o-ring behind the t-chain cover, then take it to get fixed. not something to do in your driveway. prolly about a grand to fix

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Ok, is it coming from the valve cover, the distributor, or around the belts lower down by the passanger side front wheel? All these areas are oil leak prone areas requiring diffrent seals to fix.

The one by the wheel is the crank seal. Cost = $8 from the nissan dealer. If you have never pulled off a crank pulley in your life, or have never used a crank puller let someone else do it. It costs about an hour of labor.

The valve cover (goes around the entire top of the engine) is about $18 seal from checker/pepboys/autozone or whatever. Its really ez to fix if you just follow the directions in the hanes manuel. DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE BOLTS ON THE COVER OR YOU WILL STRIP THEM when you put it back on.

The distributor is a whole diffrent beast and i would suggest doing a search if it is leaking from that area.

A few other areas that can leak are the entire timing chain cover, or the gasket around the oil pan. Both are fixed with RTV sealent, but the entire timing chain cover is something you leave to a professional to do, and if you dont have a lot of $ you just let it leak oil cuz its expensive labor wise.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's leaking from in between the water pump gally and the timing cover on the right side near the tire. well at least that's what my dad had said. but it is leaking from near the right tire. somebody had told me that this is a common problem with the 2.4 engine on the alty's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts