The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have an oil leak coming from my oil pan. I would like to know whether the 95 altimas use a gasket or a sealant? I've heard both, so I'm curious. Also any ideas on the cost of the sealant/gasket. or how difficult the job would be to do on my own?
thanks

·
Import Tech.
4,709 Posts
STOP !!!!! Your oil leak is not from the oil pan !! , Oil pans almost never leak , and in the last 10 years I have been working on Japanese Implorts I have NEVER replaced an oil pan gasket because it was leaking ( on Japanese cars ) ..... Your leak is most likely the front crank seal , or the front cover seal , or you have a leak up higher and it is just running onto the pan , or it is just residual oil from oil changes ..... If any oil leaks from lets say the front crank seal , or like the oil filter , it will run around the oil pan gasket and make it appear to leak !!!! I am always hearing people say " Jiffy Lube told me my oil pan was leaking " and we always find something else leaking !! Just for the record They use Sylicone sealer ....

·
Registered
57 Posts
actually shawn is very right on one hand...99.9% the leak isnt from the pan...had that problem a while back...but i did go to replace the gasket and nissan did sell me a gasket..not a tube of gasket ....so i would have to disagree there

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,799 Posts
you can get a gasket for those people without access to the sealant.. I think the sealant would be better IMO since the manual tells you how much to put on and where. Once you press the parts together, the sealant fills in any little gaps.

A gasket doesn't as well, and if there's any cracks, hello leak..

·
walk without rythm
457 Posts
SHAWN said:
Your leak is most likely the front crank seal , or the front cover seal , or you have a leak up higher and it is just running onto the pan
TO Shawn or others:

I was planning on changing my oil pan gasket this weekend for the reason you mentioned. How can I determine if the leak is ACTUALLY coming for somewhere else?

·
Import Tech.
4,709 Posts
Also if there is any oil above the oil pan look there , Like I said a few spots to look at would be the front crank seal , and oil filter , use Brake clean to clean all around the pan and just above , ( dont run the car for at least 15 min. after you spray it , it is very flamable !! ) You may have to drive around for a while then recheck it .....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.