The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page3.htm
Since Tullios removed his MAF screen, I've been trying to find more information on removing the screen and came across this. Sets my mind at ease if GM is doing it now. Apparently if the intake path is straight (which it is with the popcharger) it's OK to remove it!

·
sardonic patron
24 Posts
Altimat said:
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page3.htm
Since Tullios removed his MAF screen [snip]
--Did he post? I just did a search (BTW--what's with the one-search-per-minute rule? Does the board op need another server? I've got one lying around) and didn't find a post by Tullios on this.

Anyone's help here is appreciated. Merry ||cking Christmas!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: Re: OK to remove MAF screen!

theargosy said:

--Did he post? I just did a search (BTW--what's with the one-search-per-minute rule? Does the board op need another server? I've got one lying around) and didn't find a post by Tullios on this.

Anyone's help here is appreciated. Merry ||cking Christmas!
Here we go again...

Do not REMOVE that screen. It has been dyno proven on the VQ30DE that it makes NO difference in power. Also, the screen straightens the airflow so the MAF can get a good reading on the air. A POP-Charger DOES not make the airflow straight. It's still all over in a tornado type of form being sucked into the engine. The SCREEN straightens it right before it hits the sensor so it can get a good reading.

Do not do this mod. It is a waste of time, and you can also damage the maf. The main concern is any type of debri that did not hit it before can now hit the sensor and destroy your MAF. Costing money out of your pocket to fix.

The LS1 engine is a completely different type of engine. It does not have the state of the art technology that the VQ does. It's still a PUSHROD engine. The MAF on this engine has a screen on EACH side. It helps that engine to remove the MAF screens, because the screens are alot more restrictive than the ones on the VQ. Do not do this.

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do not REMOVE that screen. It has been dyno proven on the VQ30DE that it makes NO difference in power.
Well if that's the case there sure is no point in removing it.

Do not do this mod. It is a waste of time, and you can also damage the maf. The main concern is any type of debri that did not hit it before can now hit the sensor and destroy your MAF. Costing money out of your pocket to fix.
I don't see something getting past the air filter but being stopped by the screen. Maybe if you dropped a nut inside your air filter before it went on!:D

The LS1 engine is a completely different type of engine. It does not have the state of the art technology that the VQ does. It's still a PUSHROD engine. The MAF on this engine has a screen on EACH side. It helps that engine to remove the MAF screens, because the screens are alot more restrictive than the ones on the VQ. Do not do this.
Hard to believe this isn't a state of the art engine (with the exception of the pushrod design).

Thanks for the input everyone. I won't do it now I guess. I'll keep hunting for other mods though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I agree that removing your MAF is not a good idea. It is there for a reason. I must disagree about the VQ statement though. The VQ isn't exactly "hightech". It's just a DOHC V6 with a variable length intake path and variable timing control. This kind of technology has been used since the 80s. The LS1 is far from low tech. Just because it has pushrods doesn't mean it's low tech. A 350 cu. inch motor that makes power to 6000rpms, has a EXTREMELY flat torque curve which is huge by the way, burns very efficently, runs 12s bonestock in capable hands, and gets 26mpg on the highway in 6 speed or automatic, is a triumph in high technology in my book. BTW, I own a VQ Maxima :D

Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont knock v-8s yet please

Hey, I love my Alt, but don't hammer V8s. Id love ot have an alt with a small V8 (probably will be available in a few years), and that 350 in vettes and the last camaros is a marvel of machinery evolution, pushrods or not! I have an old Malibu with a 513 Cadillac engine in it, and for its purpose (burning rubber and acceleration) it has no equal. Many small earthquakes felt in California is really just the earth revolving a few real fast extra degrees, when my Malibu hooks up once in a while! Be kind to all others and their rides... well maybe not Hondas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since your referencing a C5, I'll respond.

I have not removed the screen on mine (C5), but I know plenty how have. Most without any ill effects. Its caused surging on a few... but very small percentage. Some C5 owners have gotten in the neighborhood of 2-6hp from removing it, but LS1 engines respond very well to intake mods. 02+ Z06s now come without screens.

How well a car responds to removing the screen has nothing to do with is the engine low tech or high tech. It has to do with the ability of the Engines ECU to adjust for the change in airflow and the Mafs ability to read the more turbulant airflow effectivily. The LS1 has a very linear flow and a ECU/MAF that are cabable of adjusting to the change. From what I've heard here, the Max/Altima engine does not handle this well, so I wouldn't try it.

FYI- the purpuse of a "screen" is to straiten out the airflow so that the MAF can get acurate airflow readings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Re: Re: OK to remove MAF screen!

Russ2kSE said:

FYI- The Maf on a LS1 only a screen on one side.... in the front before the Maf wires.

"technology" is relative in engines. GM choise to stay with a Pushrod engine b/c its still the best, most relaible, and most effective way to make HP. Tons of Torque from 1500rpms to readline... and it still gets better gas mileage than my 2000 Maxima SE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I cannot prove any HP gains, I only tested the air flow and found it to be restricted by 40% due to the MAF screen. Perhaps with the stock air box the Dyno was mute, however with the JWT it may be a different story. I can't see how the screen does anything but restrict air flow. It is there to protecty the engine from sucking in debrie, however I can't see how it would even get in there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts