The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got done reading about twenty or so posts about synthetic oil, but none addressed my questions. i am planning on switching my car to full synthetic at the next oil change (12000 or so), but my questions arise from two things a guy at the auto store said.

one...he said to go with one change's worth of a blend before going to full synthetic. i'm not sure if he's full of it or not but i went ahead and just put in a blend at my last oil change (figured it can't really hurt). is this a good recommendation?

and two... he also said to start switching over now because it's not good to switch after too many miles. now i've heard the argument for not switching too early, but this one's news to me. is this true because i was going to switch my wife's car over to synthetic and her car has 35000 mi or so.

thanks in advance

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
The 12000 mi. service will be a good switchover point, I frankly have never heard of 'easing' into synthetic with a blend.

Lastly, the popular school of thought is that it is desirable to break the engine in a bit with conventional oil to ensure proper seating of certain parts, mainly valves.

I switched at the second oil change using the OEM filter and Castrol Syntec. I'm going with Mobil I next time (better reputation)

PG :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I changed to Mobil 1 on my first oil change. I run 7500 miles between changes and use the Amsoil filter. Not one problem and zero oil consumption. I also used Dura/bled 5w/30 in a 3.4 Grand Prix and oil used dropped from 1 qt every 1000 to O.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I would believe that it's not too late to switch to syn even with too many miles. What is the drawback? I could only think that it would be more expensive! I'm planning to convert to syn at my next oil change at 7500 and change the oil and filter at 7500 interval.

·
Registered
205 Posts
blk35se said:
i just got done reading about twenty or so posts about synthetic oil, but none addressed my questions. i am planning on switching my car to full synthetic at the next oil change (12000 or so), but my questions arise from two things a guy at the auto store said.

one...he said to go with one change's worth of a blend before going to full synthetic. i'm not sure if he's full of it or not but i went ahead and just put in a blend at my last oil change (figured it can't really hurt). is this a good recommendation?

and two... he also said to start switching over now because it's not good to switch after too many miles. now i've heard the argument for not switching too early, but this one's news to me. is this true because i was going to switch my wife's car over to synthetic and her car has 35000 mi or so.

thanks in advance
Both of his concerns center on either high mileage or neglected cars, neither of which applies to your car or your wife's (probably).

Some people prefer to ease higher mileage cars into a full syn by running a blend first, IMO, this is unnecessary. The issue about switching later revolves around possible seal leakage when a high quality syn is introduced into a motor run on conventional or neglected for a while. Higher mileage engines in good shape are not an issue.

My personal preferences are of course Amsoil, followed by Mobil 1 and Redline. Mobil 1 is the only synthetic I would consider off the shelf.

·
Altima Crazy!!!
417 Posts
i talked to my nissan serive guy, and he said that he doesnt recomend me switching to synthetic oil until i hit 30,000 KM (not sure how many miles that is).... he said that if i were to switch before that, sleaves over the cylinders would form, and sealing wouldn't be that great....

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
JerryJ said:
I would believe that it's not too late to switch to syn even with too many miles. What is the drawback? I could only think that it would be more expensive! I'm planning to convert to syn at my next oil change at 7500 and change the oil and filter at 7500 interval.
The danger in switching to full synthetic lies mostly in higher (100,000+) mileage engines, due to the cleaning effect of synthetic oil, and it removing sludge which has been in the motor for many years, and is helping to keep the motor sealed up. If you clean it out, you may develop a lot of leaks in an older motor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm considering using redline oil for my Alty. My car hasnt had an oil change yet since its just got a little over 2k miles on it. So from what I'm hearing it looks like I may want to wait a couple oil changes before doing that. Although according to the Mobil1 site, its a myth that you have to wait for seals and such to set before using a synthetic.

I guess this topic is one of those that really doesnt have a definitive answer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
seezar said:
I'm considering using redline oil for my Alty. My car hasnt had an oil change yet since its just got a little over 2k miles on it. So from what I'm hearing it looks like I may want to wait a couple oil changes before doing that. Although according to the Mobil1 site, its a myth that you have to wait for seals and such to set before using a synthetic.

I guess this topic is one of those that really doesnt have a definitive answer.
You're right, this topic could have endless opinions. About waiting to switch, consider that cars come filled with synthetic direct from the factory now.

Niceorange hit the nail directly on the head about the higher mileage cars.

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
MDV Synthetics said:
You're right, this topic could have endless opinions. About waiting to switch, consider that cars come filled with synthetic direct from the factory now.

Niceorange hit the nail directly on the head about the higher mileage cars.
I've talked to mechanics who agree that you can go synthetic from the very beginning, and many also feel that break-in periods are not necessary, with the precision machining of our modern engines.

So I went synthetic on the second oil change, and have never been too easy on the gas :D . Car's got 11,000 miles and runs beautiful.

PG

·
Shift_This...
214 Posts
What about getting an oil change everyone 3K miles with B&G Oil Addictive added to it??? Cause that's what my dealer does when i go for an oil change. Is that the same as running full synthetics? Or should i just switch over to synthetics since my car just reach 20k? I put about 3K miles on my car in two month... Thanks...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The idea about skipping a break-in period because of, "the precision machining of our modern engines" is question at best. Yes, engines made on mass production assembly lines today have closer tolerances and better machining than those made, say, 40 years ago. But they are still mechanical devices which have metal parts that can potentially contact one another where microscopic metallic high spots might exist. Doesn't it make more sense to err on the side of caution and break the engine in carefully for a 1000 miles or so, in order to avoid the possibility of catastrophic damage later on?

I still think that 6000 miles with a good quality dyno oil and then changing to synthetic is not a bad idea. And while a few manufacturers ship their cars with synthetic in the crankcase (Corvette, Porche...), those cars still would do well with a formal break-in period if they are to see duty as street machines.

Never hurts to use a little common sense and spare yourself thousands of dollars of headache.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts