The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
2011 Altima Coupe 2.5 S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the forum there is a lot said about the failures of the CVT, that it can't be trusted, that it will fail, and fail at a young age etc.

I've been around the block enough times to know that these forums are generally about problems - so that's what you hear. After all nobody is going to post to say everything is fine today. And in all I don't really see that many - in terms of numbers - failure reports. Heck check the Porsche forums on the 3.2 engines if you want to see huge numbers of failures!

So my question is this - what's the highest number of miles anybody has achieved on a CVT (Nissan) without a major repair, just routine maintenance? Or if you prefer, did you have a major repair and then got an extreme number of miles on it once the problem was fixed?

My point being - is it a given that these things will fail young, or are we just hearing about those failures while in fact most people are racking up a couple hundred thousand miles without trouble.

Well?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I swear there was a guy on here that had 200k on his 08, cant remember if he was CVT or MT.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,268 Posts
After a mind blowing 600 miles I can tell you mine vibrates like a helicopter at 40.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I swear there was a guy on here that had 200k on his 08, cant remember if he was CVT or MT.
ssjones has over 200k on his cvt, but it was replaced around 60k I believe. 59k on my 08. Owned it for about 51 months. No major issues, had the TSB (TCM reprogram and replacement torsion rods) to eliminate vehicle hesitation / surge around 30mph a few months ago. CVT still drives super smooth, very little noise. Now that I say that I'm sure it will fail. I am probably going to wait a while before replacing the CVT fluid. Covered up to 120k miles. Not sure I will want to still drive this car much long after that. At this rate that'll be 2018.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can tell you one thing...a large number of replacements carried out are unnecessary.
Living in Nigeria and driving this alty and other nissans with cvts has opened my eyes to that fact. I'll give you a prime example...a google search for codes P1574,P0720,P1720,P1700 on the murano will show you that in all instances where all 4 of these codes or 3 of them appeared on the murano, the CVT was replaced. This becomes extremely sad when you realize that I have fixed 5 muranos with these codes by simply replacing the output speed sensor. That one sensor was responsible for all 4 codes.
Fast forward to my car, the "curse"..07 SE Alty...I have been driving around with an 0746 code for over a year without any symptoms whatsoever...also recently after an engine job, I got codes 1778, 0845 and the gear would not shift in auto....I guarantee that if any of you in the states got any of these codes, the CVT would have been replaced...however, I fixed the 1778 and 0845 by simply re-seating the CVT connector on the transmission. I continue to drive the CVT as we speak with the 0746 which I am certain is a broken wire somewhere

·
Registered
243 Posts
ssjones has over 200k on his cvt, but it was replaced around 60k I believe. 59k on my 08. Owned it for about 51 months. No major issues, had the TSB (TCM reprogram and replacement torsion rods) to eliminate vehicle hesitation / surge around 30mph a few months ago. CVT still drives super smooth, very little noise. Now that I say that I'm sure it will fail. I am probably going to wait a while before replacing the CVT fluid. Covered up to 120k miles. Not sure I will want to still drive this car much long after that. At this rate that'll be 2018.
Is this TSB done regardless of home many miles are on the car, or only if you still under warranty? I'm outside my 3y/36y but still under the 120K warranty on the trans...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
you'd probably be better off finding a MB for murano's. I believe that was the first vehicle nissan started putting them in, back in 2005 or something. And I wouldn't worry about your cvt. the technology isn't new, and the people at Nissan aren't stupid. if they weren't at least equal to the auto transmission they used to use they wouldn't be putting them in everything. if they truly had problems or were short lived they simply would have extended the warranties like they did, then switched back to a conventional automatic transmission. if you want to worry about something on your altima, worry about the brakes. :)

·
In Soviet Canuckistan
632 Posts
I just clocked 80,000 km (nearly 50,000 miles) yesterday, and a year since I bought my car; it's still running smooth as glass. I do drive around in it a lot. A year ago, I bought the car which had around 51,000 km. Now it's just over 80,000 km. Probably when I hit 98,000 km, I'll do a CVT fluid change.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm at 80k with my 08. Zero issues with CVT, and for the most part, no additional mechanical issues- the most I've paid for "fixing" is for two tire sensors.

I bought it three years ago with 19k miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a;most 106K miles on mine. Did the fluid change myself at 62K. Hoping to get another 95K or more out of it.
How much did the fluid cost?......My daughters has 72.000 on it and it's a 07 and we had the fluid changed at dealers and it was about $200.00.....does this stuff have gold in it or what.....I can do it myself but I was wondering if it rally needed it as much as the manual says if it's not driven to extremes....

also does a 07 have a timing belt or chain?.....:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
How much did the fluid cost?......My daughters has 72.000 on it and it's a 07 and we had the fluid changed at dealers and it was about $200.00.....does this stuff have gold in it or what.....I can do it myself but I was wondering if it rally needed it as much as the manual says if it's not driven to extremes....

also does a 07 have a timing belt or chain?.....:)
I want to say it was around $14~$16/qt. I bought a case of 12 from a Nissan dealership selling on eBay. At the time I did it the local stealerships were charging anywhere from $280 to $320, so I did it myself. Now they are a little more reasonable, around 200. Next time I'll have it done at one of the local stealerships.

Nissan has you by the nuts when it comes to CVT fluid...

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
a friend at work just got an 08, and 3.5 CVT, and couldn't pinpoint this noise she has been hearing, so I took it for a drive on lunch, and that damn transmission sounds like a bad wheel bearing. it was annoying. When i brought the car back, i told her i'm so glad I have a manual. I couldn't handle that everyday. and it was just so slow compared to mine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
After a mind blowing 600 miles I can tell you mine vibrates like a helicopter at 40.
Still haven't figured out how to drop into 5th gear?

a friend at work just got an 08, and 3.5 CVT, and couldn't pinpoint this noise she has been hearing, so I took it for a drive on lunch, and that damn transmission sounds like a bad wheel bearing. it was annoying. When i brought the car back, i told her i'm so glad I have a manual. I couldn't handle that everyday. and it was just so slow compared to mine.
Something is wrong with it. My 20102 3.5 does not make any noise like that.

I don't understand why so many guys try to delay tranny fluid change as long as possible. I'll probably do a drain and refill every 20,000 miles to stay on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes it's slower, but stock for stock, it's not THAT slow.

Manuals are great....but this is a family sedan afterall...

I don't understand why so many guys try to delay tranny fluid change as long as possible. I'll probably do a drain and refill every 20,000 miles to stay on the safe side.
Probably because the fluid can go well beyond 20k. I did a drain/fill at 40k for piece of mind, but 20k is overkill unless you're beating the crap out of it. NS-2 fluid isn't cheap either

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
i don't think its a delay in changing the fluid, that tranny is just not that good. Its good if you use a hovaround when not driving, but it needs some real work

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,268 Posts
Still haven't figured out how to drop into 5th gear?
Let me explain this........I purchased an automatic to not have to do this.......It's Nissans job to build one that works. I have a 5M MR2. If I want to row gears, I'll take the cover off of that and drive it. I don't expect it to shift by it self....Nissan should not expect me to shift my automatic to make it run smoothly:shift::crazy:

1 - 20 of 160 Posts