The Nissan Club banner

21 - 40 of 161 Posts

·
2011 Altima Coupe 2.5 S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I don't consider numbers like 80,000 to be impressive at all. I was hoping to see numbers like 200,000 which after all you can expect from a conventional automatic transmission. Now maybe it's just a case that these don't have enough years behind them to log that many miles, but if I have to replace mine at 100,000 I will consider it junk.

Which brings up the question - what is the cost to replace?

As to fluid I have this to contrinute - a new engine or transmission, for the first many miles, 'makes metal'. In other words as the parts wear together they rub off tiny bits of metal until the mating surfaces are matched. This happens with all metal-to-metal componants, and there is nothing wrong with it. However you don't want this metal dust sitting in your fluid, turning it into a grinding compound. It is far mosre important to change your fluid early, and then go for a prolonged period, then to just leave it until scheduled. Thirty thousand miles and I'd change it, then not worry again until 100,000 becuase I have the metal dust out of it. Same with an engine.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
it's warrantied to 120K miles, so you should have to worry about the cost to replace one unless you are over that milage.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Still haven't figured out how to drop into 5th gear?

Something is wrong with it. My 20102 3.5 does not make any noise like that.

I don't understand why so many guys try to delay tranny fluid change as long as possible. I'll probably do a drain and refill every 20,000 miles to stay on the safe side.
just one of those mysteries of life. people will go out and spend 30k on the car, 500-1000 per year to insure it, and thusands on wheels, tires and other mods. but when it comes to maintenance, everyone wants to do it on the cheap.

never been able to figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Well I don't consider numbers like 80,000 to be impressive at all. I was hoping to see numbers like 200,000 which after all you can expect from a conventional automatic transmission. Now maybe it's just a case that these don't have enough years behind them to log that many miles, but if I have to replace mine at 100,000 I will consider it junk.

Which brings up the question - what is the cost to replace?

As to fluid I have this to contrinute - a new engine or transmission, for the first many miles, 'makes metal'. In other words as the parts wear together they rub off tiny bits of metal until the mating surfaces are matched. This happens with all metal-to-metal componants, and there is nothing wrong with it. However you don't want this metal dust sitting in your fluid, turning it into a grinding compound. It is far mosre important to change your fluid early, and then go for a prolonged period, then to just leave it until scheduled. Thirty thousand miles and I'd change it, then not worry again until 100,000 becuase I have the metal dust out of it. Same with an engine.

geez man, it's only been out 5 years. how many did you expect to find with 200k miles on them?:)

once again though, relax. Nissan's mission statement isn't to go out of business. if the CVT wasn't as good as the auto's they used to use they'd go back.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
geez man, it's only been out 5 years. how many did you expect to find with 200k miles on them?:)

once again though, relax. Nissan's mission statement isn't to go out of business. if the CVT wasn't as good as the auto's they used to use they'd go back.
That, or the CEO enjoys driving at 40mph with Ben wa balls shoved in his as$s....

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts

If that was the case, Infiniti would be using the CVT as well.

It's just cheaper to use a CVT than it is to build a transmission with so many more internal parts.

Plus, the general public has not a single clue what a CVT is, and with the right sales person, they can spin it to be gods gift to cars and that person will buy it. It wont be until they start researching and learning what they are stuck with that they realize it wasn't the best idea for a lot of people. Doesn't mean however that a majority of the people with them don't like them

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If that was the case, Infiniti would be using the CVT as well.

It's just cheaper to use a CVT than it is to build a transmission with so many more internal parts.

m
not only is the cvt more expensive than the auto, it can't be fixed. and the infinit is an entirely different animal. same reason they don't put CVT's in the trucks or the Z.

there's no way in the world Nissan would put a transmission they know to be inferior in millions and millions of car. especially the flagship of their US fleet, the altima. I know you and wild willy have this irrational hate of the CVT, but try not to let it cloud your judgement.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
not only is the cvt more expensive than the auto, it can't be fixed. and the infinit is an entirely different animal. same reason they don't put CVT's in the trucks or the Z.

there's no way in the world Nissan would put a transmission they know to be inferior in millions and millions of car. especially the flagship of their US fleet, the altima. I know you and wild willy have this irrational hate of the CVT, but try not to let it cloud your judgement.

Driving it clears it all up for me................

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
lol, yea, your the guy that tried to tell me the cvt would bring your car to a stop while going down a hill.

look, you don't like, that's fine. to each their own. but you really shouldn't be trying to scare people who just bought a car with one. especially when a lot of it is just stuff your pulling out of your arse.

It's an ok transmission to me. nothing great, but definitely nothing wrong with it either. I just prefer more performance oriented stuff. and a midsize sedan, with any transmission, isn't oriented toward that.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
Everything that comes out of my arse is real. It vibrates at 40.......it does not roll well....overall opinion....tranny sucks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
want to tell me again how the engine braking on it is so bad that your car comes to a stop on hills:rolleyes:

and there are plenty of things that will make a car vibrate. I've got 56k on mine, and it's never vibrated doing anything. 10, 20, 40, or 90 mph it rides like it's on rails. personally, I'm not big fan of anything that doesn't have a clutch. the only reason I got a CVT is because Nissan puts them in 90% of the cars and I didn't want to wait for the dealer to find a 2.5s with a MT. but having drove it for 5 years now there is definitely nothing wrong with it. but I still prefer MT's, and still think they're superior to anything else currently available.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts

how is infiniti a different animal? it's the same company. the nissan flagship is the Maxipad, and it has only CVT as an option. It's not that I hate it, I hate that nissan won't give anyone the option anymore of something other than the CVT.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
how is infiniti a different animal? it's the same company. the nissan flagship is the Maxipad, and it has only CVT as an option. It's not that I hate it, I hate that nissan won't give anyone the option anymore of something other than the CVT.
an infiniti has a lot more horsepower and a lot more torque,. it's rear wheel drive and designed with performance in mine.

and the maxima isn't Nissan flagship vehicle, it the altima. the altima accounts for about half their car sales. they're not going to put an inferior trans in something so important to the bottom line. especially as competitive as the midsize market is. when your playing in the same sandbox as the camry and accord you bring your A game.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
Actually, the Maxima is the flagship. The altima is their midlevel sedan. Midlevel will not be a flagship.

I do believe however i was wrong on one thing, Infiniti does have a car with CVT, and I believe its in the M Hybrid. So FWD or RWD doesnt matter. Infiniti isn't about performance, it's mostly about luxury and comfort, but they still want some level of upper level performance attached to it. The sales for the Altima are higher than the maxima due to it being cheaper and more people can afford it. Thats why the cheap 2.5 is everywhere, but finding a 3.5 is much more difficult because the price goes up.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
want to tell me again how the engine braking on it is so bad that your car comes to a stop on hills:rolleyes:.
Can't answer why...Last thing I owned that was driven by a rubber band was the little wind up wooden air planes my mom used to buy me in the grocery store at check out........but that was 40 yrs ago...I am sure Nissan uses better bands by now

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Actually, the Maxima is the flagship. The altima is their midlevel sedan. Midlevel will not be a flagship.

I do believe however i was wrong on one thing, Infiniti does have a car with CVT, and I believe its in the M Hybrid. So FWD or RWD doesnt matter. Infiniti isn't about performance, it's mostly about luxury and comfort, but they still want some level of upper level performance attached to it. The sales for the Altima are higher than the maxima due to it being cheaper and more people can afford it. Thats why the cheap 2.5 is everywhere, but finding a 3.5 is much more difficult because the price goes up.

call it whatever you want, the altima is the most important vehicle in their lineup. in feb Nissan sold 60,000 cars, 32,000 of them were altima's. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nissan-north-america-sales-rise-155-set-new-february-record-2012-03-01

and price has nothing to do with it, most people simply don't need the power or the lower FE. every generation of every midsize sedan has more and more options packed into it, bringing the price up every year. they do it because people are willing to pay more. the versa is for people on a tight budget.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Looks like Honda is shifting their Accord to CVT for the redesign too. Personally I prefer a geared auto as well, but my CVT has been fine for the past 52k miles. For my daily commute it does the job very well, I almost like it better than a geared trans. Yes it has it's quirks but so does the 7spd in the Infiniti line up. Every trans does. I think the 6spd in the Altima is rather sloppy compared to the 6spd Accord Coupe. It's all about preference. People will hate, so be it, everyone has an opinion and you're not going to change it.

Infiniti does have a CVT in their lineup. The 2013 JX

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I think honda's getting desperate. when I was looking up those sales number I saw something else that was talking about how the accord didn't even make the top 10 list. sales were actually below the 21k the fusion sold.

but I think what was most remarkable was that the altima, which is at the very end of it's current generation, only sold 2k less than the newly redesigned Camry. if the 2013 altima improves in the right areas, it could very well end up being the best selling car in the US.

and I agree with the rest, and I know I'm not going to change any opinions. I just think it's a shame that whenever someone comes here asking about the CVT in the 20K+ car they just bought they get a barrage of negative opinions masquerading as facts, from the same cast of characters.

here's the link, pretty interesting:
February's Top 10 best-selling vehicles: Some surprises

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
this will most likely be the last nissan car I buy because they won't give options in the drivetrain anymore.

21 - 40 of 161 Posts