altimaa2009
65 Posts
What do u mean? Driving Ur car @50mph will give u great gas milage,
A comfortable rid, & will preserve ur car. It wont make it old befote
its time so im not really sure what u mean here

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When Dad found out newest one takes 0W-20 oil he flipped. He says he won't buy another as he hates the idea of this oil.
he might as well get over it, all car companies are going that way. GM now puts a semi-synthetic Dexos oil in all of their cars from factory and using anything that doesn't meet Dexos standards voids the warranty.

it's all about extended service intervals now.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
What do u mean? Driving Ur car @50mph will give u great gas milage,
A comfortable rid, & will preserve ur car. It wont make it old befote
its time so im not really sure what u mean here
each car performs differently. I've watched my MPGs on multiple times to see what speed range gets me the best mpgs and for my car it's 70-75mph. Driving slow doesn't mean your car is preserved better. Milage will make it old, not the mph you were driving it. However, if you are driving at redline all the time, then life expectancy of the motor will be cut down. and if someone is on the highway doing 50mph, they better be in the fart right lane where they belong, and not causing everyone else to go slower than old people F&*# just because they want to go for a slow sunday cruise through the country, but are doing it on a major highway instead.

·
Registered
370 Posts
he might as well get over it, all car companies are going that way. GM now puts a semi-synthetic Dexos oil in all of their cars from factory and using anything that doesn't meet Dexos standards voids the warranty.

it's all about extended service intervals now.
IDK about that. Most warranties read that they don't care about synthetic's claimed extended drain. They want it changed at X mileage.

Honda and Ford both went to 5W-20. Ford stopped BC they were having oil usage problems. Honda has now switched to 0W-20. What other manufacturers are using lower than 5W-30?

As far as Dexos, Mobil 1 5W-30 is a Dexos certified oil as does Penzoil Gold Syn blend. and those are the first 2 hits when I googled. It doesn't appear to be anything special, just GM making press to look like they are doing something special.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
IDK about that. Most warranties read that they don't care about synthetic's claimed extended drain. They want it changed at X mileage.

Honda and Ford both went to 5W-20. Ford stopped BC they were having oil usage problems. Honda has now switched to 0W-20. What other manufacturers are using lower than 5W-30?

As far as Dexos, Mobil 1 5W-30 is a Dexos certified oil as does Penzoil Gold Syn blend. and those are the first 2 hits when I googled. It doesn't appear to be anything special, just GM making press to look like they are doing something special.
it doesn't have to be dexos, just an oil certified to meet dexos standards.
GM's New Engine Oil: Use It Or Else!

if you read the whole thing it talks about the new GF-5 standards that are coming, maybe here and how GM was pretty much just ahead of the curve on it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Biggest minor issue I had was with the torque converter and CVT. With a/c on there was a jerk around 30mph. Got the fix done in this thread and it's been fine ever since. Engine is noisy when it's cold, sounds like there might be a hole / blockage somewhere in my exhaust system, one of the heat shields rattles and some slight clearcoat peeling when I got my bumper repainted. Seat squirms slightly even after TSB, hear occasional rattles which I no longer care about due to its age and sound deadening I added. Also the factory speakers blow chunks if you enjoy turning up the volume.

54 Months of ownership come 6/1 and fewer issues than the 2003 Maxima that preceded it. That car had crankshaft sensor issues causing it to stall, needed a new gas tank less than two months after I bought it, clearcoat peeling off the front bumper, visible rust under the hood on some bolts, needed new wheel hub assembly, didn't run right on 87 octane, auto transmission that shifted hard between 1st and 2nd along with some other issues like not being able to hook an mp3 player into the factory stereo without crazy static and only 21-23mpg if I babied it, 18 in stop and go traffic. The muffler needed to be replaced too, had a hole in it. Dealership wanted 800, went to Meineke and got a generic one for $300 installed.

So yeah that said, the Altima has been pretty good to me. Nissan's quality is getting better. :)

u say no major issues, did you have any MINOR issues though?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just checking in here.. 2008 3.5SE, 60,500 miles. No problems at all with the CVT. I would actually say it feels more responsive than when I first bought the car. I must admit though in my old age (42) I don't drive the car very aggressively. I have not changed the fluid yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just checking in here.. 2008 3.5SE, 60,500 miles. No problems at all with the CVT. I would actually say it feels more responsive than when I first bought the car. I must admit though in my old age (42) I don't drive the car very aggressively. I have not changed the fluid yet.
at how many miles do you plan on changing it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 07 3.5 with 93,000 as soon as it hits 2200 rpm it sounds like its going to fly apart and doesn't seem to have the top end power that it did. This is not the heat shield rattle the dealership cut those off along time ago I am calling the dealership Monday. My girls 08 coupe with 64,000 sounds like new.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
I said before, each car is different. I know what mine does, don't really care what a car tested by a magazine did unless that its the car I'm driving.

·
Registered
264 Posts
2007 Altima 2.5S, purchased at 70 thousand kms 18 months ago. Now has 149 thousand kms on the odo... zero cvt fluid changes..
CVT works smoothly throughout the rpm's and and at different speeds. Really have nothing bad to say about the transmission.. I enjoy it way more then the 5 speed autotraggic in my volvo XC.

kinda off topic, but... Service to date "149kms"

#1 failed rear abs sensor "warranty"
#2 cracked exhaust header "warranty"
#3 Brake pads/rotors "changed myself"

also sure the abs sensor coulda been cleaned and not replaced, and im sure I could have welded the header pipe crack, but I did pay for warranty and let them do it.

Best noted fuel millage 45 to 50 mph, and 1750rpms... aprox 34 to 36mpg in that range.

I just switched the engine to synthetic "CAstrol Edge 5W20", and want to change my CVT fluid but the damn dipstick seem stuck or something, the release won't release! lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I said before, each car is different. I know what mine does, don't really care what a car tested by a magazine did unless that its the car I'm driving.
US Department of Energy is not a magazine. In any case, fluid dynamics dictate that air resistance increases exponentially with speed, thereby requiring exponentially more energy to overcome and this affects 100% of automobiles. The number shows a highly consistent--among multiple vehicles--and substantial drop in mileage as speed is increased past around 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
US Department of Energy is not a magazine. In any case, fluid dynamics dictate that air resistance increases exponentially with speed, thereby requiring exponentially more energy to overcome and this affects 100% of automobiles. The number shows a highly consistent--among multiple vehicles--and substantial drop in mileage as speed is increased past around 50 mph.
+1, the law of diminishing returns.

I always get a kick out of reading the post here where people claim to be getting these incredible MPG's at 70 MPH and other nonsense. it's like their cars can defy the laws of physics or something.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just drove the 2.5S on a 250 mile round trip yesterday. 65-75 degrees temp, sunny. I drove 80mph using cruise control almost the entire way except a few construction areas. Used AC about half the trip (ride back when it was warmer)The tank already had 160 miles on it of mixed city/hgwy mileage (usually get about 27mpg on a tank)

Filled up after the trip and it calculated out to 30.5 mpg for the whole tank. Using my math skills I got around 32mpg for the trip itself, not bad since EPA is 31 hwy and I was going 80.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts