The Nissan Club banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
As to fluid I have this to contrinute - a new engine or transmission, for the first many miles, 'makes metal'. In other words as the parts wear together they rub off tiny bits of metal until the mating surfaces are matched. This happens with all metal-to-metal componants, and there is nothing wrong with it. However you don't want this metal dust sitting in your fluid, turning it into a grinding compound. It is far mosre important to change your fluid early, and then go for a prolonged period, then to just leave it until scheduled. Thirty thousand miles and I'd change it, then not worry again until 100,000 becuase I have the metal dust out of it. Same with an engine.
That's what the oil/tranny filter is for, to catch small debri, and why would you leave the "metal dust" in the tranny for 30,000 miles if this was the case? Why not change the tranny fluid at say 1,000 or 2,000 miles?

Not trying to be a smart-azz really a serious question.

·
Registered
139 Posts
shawn is right i get my best mpg at around 65-75 mph's
If you're serious this is Impossible.

Your best MPG is at the lowest RPM in the highest gear without lugging the engine.....usually around 45-50MPH.

Both my Sentra and my Altima (and every other of the 50 plus cars I've owned) get the best "highway" mileage at 55.........although I usually set the cruise to 65/70....and get a few miles per gallon LESS.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
Exactly......I can't believe this was actually debated!! :)
i had this debate a couple days ago with someone at a meet, who got a new maxima and thinks because he has paddle shifters that somehow he has a manual and a sports car. It was like talking to a child, I got tired of trying to be logical and just walked away.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
i had this debate a couple days ago with someone at a meet, who got a new maxima and thinks because he has paddle shifters that somehow he has a manual and a sports car. It was like talking to a child, I got tired of trying to be logical and just walked away.
good job. youd never win that fight anyway. and its not cause your wrong either

·
Registered
189 Posts
Biggest minor issue I had was with the torque converter and CVT. With a/c on there was a jerk around 30mph. Got the fix done in this thread and it's been fine ever since. Engine is noisy when it's cold, sounds like there might be a hole / blockage somewhere in my exhaust system, one of the heat shields rattles and some slight clearcoat peeling when I got my bumper repainted. Seat squirms slightly even after TSB, hear occasional rattles which I no longer care about due to its age and sound deadening I added. Also the factory speakers blow chunks if you enjoy turning up the volume.

54 Months of ownership come 6/1 and fewer issues than the 2003 Maxima that preceded it. That car had crankshaft sensor issues causing it to stall, needed a new gas tank less than two months after I bought it, clearcoat peeling off the front bumper, visible rust under the hood on some bolts, needed new wheel hub assembly, didn't run right on 87 octane, auto transmission that shifted hard between 1st and 2nd along with some other issues like not being able to hook an mp3 player into the factory stereo without crazy static and only 21-23mpg if I babied it, 18 in stop and go traffic. The muffler needed to be replaced too, had a hole in it. Dealership wanted 800, went to Meineke and got a generic one for $300 installed.

So yeah that said, the Altima has been pretty good to me. Nissan's quality is getting better. :)
wait...you ran a maxima on 87 octane? were you aware that it was designed and timed to run purely on higher octane fuels? and even has a sticker in the gas door to do just that...did you think it was just something they wanted you to do to get more money to the gas companies?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just passed 99,000 on mine. I think it's at 99,104 or something. I'd have to look. Previous owner told me the CVT had never been replaced, and I haven't had any problems with it in the time that I've owned it. Fingers crossed that that's not a jinx.

·
2010 2.5 SL
687 Posts
I think this is a fine thread to necro.

I live around the block from where I work, so my used 2010 doesn't really have an impressive amount of miles yet. I'm shooting for years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am officially retiring my 2010 Altima 2.5S. Bought brand new with 2km on it and it is now at 352,680. I will probably take it out for a spin tomorrow before I pick up a new car.
I have done the following to it, no exaggeration:

regular oil changes
3 transmission fluid changes
2 complete brake jobs
exhaust pipe hole fix after I hit a truck tire debris on the hwy
2 battery changes

That is all. This is probably the most dependable car that I know to have existed among my circle of friends.
I have had it for about 3489 days. All worry free. I can't believe that I will be letting it go for cheap or mostly free.
20200519_220402.jpg

Proof photo is attached.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am officially retiring my 2010 Altima 2.5S. Bought brand new with 2km on it and it is now at 352,680. I will probably take it out for a spin tomorrow before I pick up a new car.
I have done the following to it, no exaggeration:

regular oil changes
3 transmission fluid changes
2 complete brake jobs
exhaust pipe hole fix after I hit a truck tire debris on the hwy
2 battery changes

That is all. This is probably the most dependable car that I know to have existed among my circle of friends.
I have had it for about 3489 days. All worry free. I can't believe that I will be letting it go for cheap or mostly free.
View attachment 100768
Proof photo is attached.
That’s not bad for 216,000 miles. What are you gonna replace it with?

141 - 160 of 160 Posts