The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I tried to remove the valve cover on my Altima 1998 to get rid of the upper timing chain guide. All the the bolts were so tight that one of them broke (second front one, from left), now there is one with the threaded end stuck in the engine block. The others are so tight that I am afraid to break them so I did not sucessfully remove the cover.

What should I do? Can I leave the cover short of one bolt and still use the car? I have not started the engine yet after this incident because I am afraid that hot gases will escape through the valve cover or something sad to happen. Should I get the car towed to a professional shop to have the broken bolt removed somehow?

please give me some advice

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would take it to a mechanic asap. This happened on my friends Jeep and he tried to tap the remaining bolt and ended up getting all sorts of metal shavings in his engine. It was a costly mistake, they did a flush and got a whole lot of crap out of there. As for driving it that would be another no. You will probably lose some compression and also oil might spray out.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
^ quit scaring that man like that. It won't hurn anything. As long as the other ones are nice and snugg, it should not leak. What you do to remove the screw is get a drill and tap into it, and twist it out that way. You may just want to take it to a machine shop instead of the dealer, or automotive shop. It may be cheaper. Just try calling, they may tell you the tools that you need to do it yourself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
if they are that tight I would not reccomend trying to tap it out yourself, especially if you do not have the proper tools. Bring it to a small autoshop, and they should give you a good price to fix

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
I bet that you won't trust us for anything else will you? You asked us how to do this, and we told you. I would be madddd! Don't worry about it, it will be ok.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
They have bolt extraction kits available. I dunno how well they work tho.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
Peterson said:
Please post more helpful tips.....
hahaha :D
anyways...you should of cleaned all the areas around the bolts with Wd-40 before you removed them and possibly sprayed them in some penetrant like LUBE JOB PENETRANT....this shit is newer and better than PB BLASTER...eats through a styrofoam cup in seconds. your going to need a new bolt obviously with the washer... i dont know the price on those or how many they come with...so it might be in order for you to just remove all the bolts and tap out the broken one...get a new set of bolts, new valve cover gasket and spark plug seals; clean up everything if a soft rag, as to not get particles in your engine. then install everything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts