The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pissed...I finally found some time to switch out my headlight bulbs the other day. I did the right side and was just about to finish up on the left headlight by twisting the clamp in the back closed. I have DDE's, so the wires feed out through the back of the headlights (where you twist the clamp). I was twisting it closed, and little did I know that there wasn't enough slack on the DDE wire. Twisted the clamp, which pulled the wire and Baaam, my large DDE halo snapped :smack: So now I have a broken halo in my tightly sealed headlights.

I really did silicone the hell out of them when I sealed my headlights after installing the DDE's. So my question is, how easy will it be to stick it back in the oven, and open it up again???? Anyone ever try to open their headlights again after sealing them??? Ahhh…so much hassle for a stupid mistake on my part.

·
Über
7,173 Posts
I don't think you can put them in the oven again with the DDE's inside. :( I actually messed up on my pass headlight too. When I re-sealed it, I waited too long so the lens didn't push in all the way so now the relfector is a little too far back which now emits 10-20% less light, even after I tried adjusting them. I still am having a tiny tiny bit of condesation problems but only when its like 100% humidity, raining, and 98 degrees outside. Otherwise its ok. But maybe we can pop them back in the oven at a lower temp. for longer? Because wouldn't the DDE's have to withstand the heat from the bulbs?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
DO NOT put them in the oven. My reccomendation would be to use a heat gun

·
Parts & Service Manager
1,812 Posts
Put them in the oven. But not for long. I did. YOu have to just barely get them hot enough.

Here is a suggestion.

The last three installs I did. I drilled a hole for the DDE wires & siliconed it up after feeding it through. Man what a difference. i ended up with alot more wire, Especially if you have factory HID cause the housing is larger.

·
Chinese Foooooooooooddd!
705 Posts
i think it's safe to put it back in the oven, but not for very long. when i installed my DDE's, i put them in for like 5 min just to get them soft and then pushed it back together. sorry to hear that man.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
When I cleared out my headlamps I had major fogging issues. I opened them up on 3 seperate occasions using the oven to reseal them. It's pretty messy playing with hot silicone but it works alright. You will just have to take a razor and get off as much excess siliocne as possible and this is tough because the original caulking is so damn sticky. This is why I will never open my headlamps ever again. It's just too much of a hassle.

·
Über
7,173 Posts
Ok, I'm going to work on my pass. headlight tonight. All I want to do is push it in further, but I have a ish load of silicone on it. I haven't checked the temp. it can withstand but if worse comes to worse I can always pull out the silicone before putting it in the oven. At what temp. would you guys recommend I put it at? I have a pretty recent oven, its a GE flatstove oven if that helps. Also should I baste it or put any seasoning before and after I bake it?

·
Über
7,173 Posts
Ok, I just opened and resealed the passenger headlight today. All went well. The silicone is really heat resistive but because of the DDE's I kept the temp. around 185 - 200 degrees. I actually left it in there for about 20 minutes believe it or not. It opened much better this time and I didn't have to use a tool to pry it open just my hands. I took off the extra silicone with my hands because it won't reseal right if I didn't. Came out in chunks and took some time but I got most of it out. I then resealed it while it was still warm, poped it back in the oven for another 15 minutes and pushed back together like a charm. Again used some silicone to reseal some spots that were bent from first install. Now this time I was able to actually screw the two screws that holds the lens in place. Relfector is back in position where it should be and adjusted a little and now back to 100% light output :) I'm glad I did this. It was just bothering the hell outta me not having the two screws in and having the relfector too far back.

·
Administrator
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear it's not too much trouble to open them up again. Hardest part is finding time to do this project....again :(

·
Über
7,173 Posts
Yeah, took me about couple hours to do. I took my time. However, now my drivers side has a little condensation. LOL, I think I'm gonna cry. It was probably due to high humidity + I parked in a parking garage. Now I have to put more silicone on that one. ERRR. I swear its a daily thing now checking my headlights for condensation.

For all who had a little condensation problem on their DDE install, did it start on the point closest to the grill?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts