The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize as I might be asking basic questions here. Just a week ago I got rid of the car I did not care about (Ford Focus) and got one that I do care about (hehe - 2002 Altima, right? :). So really caring for a car is kind of new to me (no point in caring for a Ford if you ask me! ;-)

Anyway - I have this questions:

Schedule 1 oil changes are every 3,500 miles.

I am planning to go to synthetic oil though after 1st change - do you guys then do it by Schedule 2 then?

Obviously, the decision is mine to make but just wondered what you all do.

Also - I figure that lots of people on this board change oil by themselves. How do you get around not having a stamp in the service manual? You just know you might get dinged if selling the car later?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
there shouldn't be a reason to follow sched 1 unless u live drive in extreme conditions (like rush hour, stop and go, lotsa uphill, dirty environment). Ask the service dealer guy and they'll tell u to follow Sched 2. If u have lotsa time and $, follow #1 (it won't hurt anything).
When you do your own oil change, keep all reciepts. Make a note of date and miles on odometer where the stamp's supposed to go. That's all u need. The same goes for any other work you do, such as rotating tires, inspecting brakes and air filter, etc. The more u document, the better you're protected.
Jae
ps: did you sell your focus? i need a car badly

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a lot of various opinions on when to change oil, and also when to go to synthetic.

I am changing my original oil at about 1000 miles, and staying with dino. At about 3700 I'll change again, and go to full synthetic. I am one who checks my oil every week too--a good habit. And if I have a dealer or someone else change the oil, I always check it right afterward--sometimes they forget to put oil back in.

I set up my own form, and I log all maintenance on this with mileage, and staple any receipts to this also as a way of keeping record of items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.