The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had been preparing myself for the install for about 3 weeks. i was reading up in the haynes manual as well as threads on the site about the install. so, yesterday i decided to undertake the task of actually going through w/ the install. everything was going well until it came time to remove the pulley nut. i got sort of confused which way the nut was supposed to loosen so i went w/ the ol' "righty tighty, lefty lucy" theory. so i proceded in moving the bolt left. no deal. i tried for almost 2 hours to move that damn bolt left but it just refused to budge. i even emptied a can of liquid wrench on that sucker but still nothing. so i noticed that when i was loosening the alternator that the wrench was moving right in order to loosen the nut. so i give it a whirl and that sucker popped right off. damn that lucy!!! after that, i tried to remove the pulley itself. first, i tried the pulley puller. the one that i rented from pep boys was a piece of @#$%. it kept moving as i tried to extract the pulley. finally, i was able to get a good grip and the pulley slid 30% off. my brother then used a pry bar and worked the pulley fully off. then came the crank seal replacement. that thing is a bitch to get off. took me like 15 min to get it off. had to snip it in half w/ a wire cutter. after that, it was smooth sailing for a bit. belts went on ok and the SWA pulley went on w/o a problem. then came time to tighten the belts back up. so, i went ahead and began tightening the ac belt back up and of course, the bolt snapped right in half. i couldnt believe it. i almost broke down in tears. i managed to pull myself together and tighten everything else up. then pushed my car outside and called it a night. this morning i woke up bright and early and visited 2 nissan dealerships for the bolt. no deal. i asked the guy if i would be able to use a regular bolt that could be found in any autoparts store. he said not to because the nissan bolts are forged steel and hold up better. i proceded to show him the broken bolt and asked him if that's what he meant by holding up better. he didn't say another word. so i went to the local strauss auto parts store and found a bolt that fit. went home, tightened everything up, and that's the end of my pulley install drama.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds almost like my pulley install story... buy hey it's on! Enjoy.

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far all i've noticed is a higher redline. used to be at about 5500 and its now at about 6100. haven't really tried to punch it yet. will wait a couple of days for the ecu to recalibrate itself to the lightened pulley.

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
at least you did it yourself. congrats man

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i just installed mine yesterday and it went pretty smoothly. the only thing that was a pain was that the belts the gates alternator belt that is listed in the faq was too small, i had to get the next size up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
99altima said:
i just installed mine yesterday and it went pretty smoothly. the only thing that was a pain was that the belts the gates alternator belt that is listed in the faq was too small, i had to get the next size up.
I installed mine a month ago and the 52" belt was to big, well it fit but I had to adjust the hell out of the tentioner thats why I'm thinking of getting a smaller belt just have to push the alternator back some

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey altimavixen, thank ur b/f for the advice on the pulley install. i really appreciated it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts