The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nissannews.com/index.html

Altima SE-R

2005 marks the first-ever Altima SE-R model. The Altima SE-R’s standard 260-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine has been tuned to a higher level of performance (compared with other 2005 Altima models) and the suspension has been enhanced with performance-tuned front struts and rear shocks, stiffer front and rear springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars. The SE-R comes with 225/45R18 Y-speed rated tires and 18-inch forged aluminum-alloy wheels.

The SE-R’s exterior offers a number of special features, including unique front and rear fascias, compact fog lights, new rear spoiler and side sill spoilers and large dual exhaust finishers. Inside, the SE-R features sport-shaped leather-appointed front seats with red or gray leather perforated inserts, dark chrome trim and a three-pod center-mounted gauge package, which is similar to that found on the legendary 350Z.

Key features of the 2005 Altima SE-R include:
· Unique rear spoiler and side sill spoilers and front and rear fascias with distinctive raised hood design
· 260-horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 251 lb-ft of torque
· Drilled aluminum pedals
· Standard HID xenon headlights with unique bezel color
· Performance-tuned suspension with recalibrated front struts and rear shocks, stiffer front and rear springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars
· Large 12.6x1.1-inch front brakes with silver painted front and rear calipers, SE-R logo on front calipers and standard Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
· Standard Bose® Premium audio system with eight speakers, in-dash 6-disc CD

·
Proud Owner
544 Posts
No LSD either. And you can bet it may only do about .2 seconds better in the 1/4 mile. I bet any alty with intake and exhaust will keep up nicely. It will handle and stop better though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
the bigger brakes nad standard HID's are a nice couple thousand dollar stock upgrades.

·
Registered
65 Posts
MaddysDaddy7: I'd love to put my SE-R next to yours on the quarter... Keep in mind that anyone that is interested and buying the SE-R WILL most likely install a CAI and tune the exhaust The reason you buy the SE-R model is so you can beat the the 3.5 SE's and other competitors...regardless of their mods :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
With a CAI and Custom Downpipe, you will add about 10+ hp to it regardless of actual horspower figures. There may even be a Sports Chip for it (10+ hp). I've heard that Nissan's 3.5L VQ engine has the potential to produce close to 400hp without a turbo or Supercharger. They have drastically "Detuned" that engine.

The SE-R will dyno for a bit less than 260 for sure...it's all marketing and perception when they release horsepower/torque numbers. But the point is that it will be faster than the Toyota's, Mazda's, Honda's, and the Nissan SE's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
not great

Okay, some good things:

rock44 said:
· Standard HID xenon headlights with unique bezel color
· Performance-tuned suspension ...
· Large 12.6x1.1-inch front brakes...
And the wheels are OK too. The car is just short of being something I'd buy. It does not have the right combination of features and performance.

WHAT I DON'T WANT: BOSE, LEATHER, SUNROOF. Okay as options for other people, but let me choose to not get them.

WHAT I DO WANT: LIMITED SLIP DIFF, NISMO PERFORMANCE PARTS! What is there, oh yeah, a cold air intake.

datfan

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love the Nissan line and especially the Altima SE-R, but I have to say that I was hoping and expecting a little more in the hp section. I was so wanting to see 270 hp, so that it would be able to know out the Acura TL, and was also wanting them to include LSD on it. But regardless of all that I still like the car and hope that they improve it over the next couple of years, and of course I still totally want on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah

I am holding out hope there will be a NISMO LSD offered for it, or maybe even one will be offered on the 2006 model year. Though, I doubt Nissan will change much of anything for the last model year (2006) of the current Altima design.

I've read that Nissan will make an even sportier Altima version for the 2007 model year. I see two-door fans hoping for a two-door version. Who knows? We'll all have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
ok Ive changed my mine and rewriten this like 5 times now and I think its definately a nice little upgrade... especially with the 6 speed... but I dunno I would have to say the power gains werent as high as I was expecting... was hoping 265 or so. Definately nice improvement but whether its worth it... I dunno have to see the price they are going for... but figure 30k. I definately think I will take one for a test drive and beat on it but whether I would trade mine in.... probably not.

·
Proud Owner
544 Posts
I don't have intake or exhaust for one thing. And mine is an auto also. But if you would like to race my 64' Falcon. I'll be glad to run you. You get all the superchargers and turbo's you like. I'll win "always". I'm not bagging on the SE-R, I just wasn't one of those that thought they were gonna make it "Nissan's New Supercar", I knew it was gonna have a suttle performance increase and more looks than anything. After all the Altima is already a fast car. I love my Altima and I really like the SE-R but it just not gonna out perform the current Altima's that much. Also I'm curious if they will get rid of the 115 speed limit for the SE-R(doubt it). Enjoy your car like I enjoy mine. And spend more time racing lexus's and others and less time racing fellow Altima owners.

CoopSER said:
MaddysDaddy7: I'd love to put my SE-R next to yours on the quarter... Keep in mind that anyone that is interested and buying the SE-R WILL most likely install a CAI and tune the exhaust The reason you buy the SE-R model is so you can beat the the 3.5 SE's and other competitors...regardless of their mods :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wasn't aware that the SE-R max's out at 115??? My 02 Spec-V hits 140 with no limiter.... :dunno: Hopefully someone will post the max speed on these when they come out....if you find a good article about it, paste it in this post...Thanks bud!

Coop

·
Proud Owner
544 Posts
I don't know if it has a limiter either, but it may have the same limiter the other 05's have, even the manuals have it. 115 seem fast enough until that honda civic blasts by you on the freeway. I still don't know why the 05's have that limiter. I have had mine(03') to 130 and no limiter kicked in-mind you I've read on here it will kick in shortly after that speed in the auto's. You'll still like it even if it only goes 115.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dnvrfan: No, not yet. Hopefully I will hear from my dealer within the next couple of weeks. White02SpecV should have some info on when they start releasing the SE-R's to dealers also since he works at Nissan.

As far as the SE-R limiter...I will be testing this out as soon as I drive it off the lot. If I'm crusin on the highway and there is a straight for about 2 miles...I'm not stopping at 115. And I go to the track every so often so 115 will hurt my lap time. IF there is a limiter on the SE-R's, I think there is a switch or a button that you can turn off :confused: I can remember when I used to drive my 94 Ford Probe GT that there was a red button on the left side of the trunk that you had to switch to get rid of the limiter. Weird.

My thoughts would be that the SE-R model's will not have limiters on them...If they do, it will be around 140 or faster. I'll post my top speed in a couple of weeks regardless.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Coop, seriously buddy you need to step back and take a look on things. If you don't treat your VQ right then you'll run into problems left and right, taking it to hit 115+ off the lot with less than 10 miles as it will be, you're just asking for it.

Now as a speed limiter hurting your 1/4 ET's? Are you crazy? You'll have to be in the very very low 13's / high 12's before you start trapping at 115 mph. It won't hurt your lap time at all unless your spraying or using forced induction.

Our VQ's cannot hit 400 hp N/A (Unless you bore it out to 4.3L and find every performance part on the face of this planet), you need spray or F/I to accomplish this.

I'm just going to laugh when you and I find out the 3.5SE's and 3.5SER's run 0-60 and 1/4 times that are similar. The only change between the two is in the ECU, just fuel mappings. All of the internals should be the same on the SE and SER. Your speed limiter is also maintained within your ECU, Nissan doesn't put a magic red button in the trunk to disable this.

Technosquare has the ECU or "speed chip" that you are referring to for the 02-04 Nissan Altima 3.5SE. I would imagine they would make one for the 05 SER within the next year that would raise your rev limiter, tweak your fuel mappings, fix some annoying throttle bullshit (if present on the SER), and would definately remove the 115 mph speed limiter if it does exist. This will cost approx. $495 when it's availble.

Take care of your SER, don't drive it off the lot and throw 100+ at it. Who cares if it has a limiter, I'm sure some schmuk is going to find out soon enough so let them run into a brick wall for you. Also respect the 3.5SE's =) Most on here would be able to blow away your SE-R anyday.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts