The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo everyone, i just bought a 1996 nissan altima, and i was thinking about putting a universal muffler of some sort to make some noise, you know... Borla, Tanabe, Apexi, etc... does anyone have any ideas on which muffler looks the best on the altima that i have or any opinions on what kind of muffler i should get..?
thanks alot

brian

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
GReddy Cat-Back. I love mine.

·
isSs rolling a 2k3sentra
602 Posts
dmonger said:
GReddy Cat-Back. I love mine.
i hear they're good... i am selling my stillen if you want make an offer or email/pm me

*mark

Raiders lost...lol :D

·
AKA Howey Feltersnatch
2,051 Posts
best jus cut the muffler off and put mod money a tip on it, thats the mod money can by!!!!!1

·
Speed Ricer
1,198 Posts
ive got a hayame muffler, looks good and sounds great, wish i would of gotten the greddy though. ive got the XT5 model btw.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
performance gains? looks and sound are not the way to judge a muffler. What designs are you guys using? What kind of plumbing is going into the muffler? Any dyno test proof? We here at .net seem to love rice bashing but then we turn around and ask what's the best sounding muffler? What's the best looking muffler? See where I am going? Let's get technical...what was the main reason each of you purchased the muffler you did and what were the gains as opposed to an OEM muffler? Let's make this deep enough to be a FAQ.

I read a bunch of info about my muffler before I bought it at www.magnaflow.com where they describe the internal make up of various muffler designs from the sorry fart can to the tuned free flow. I wanted one that was low restriction and would allow me to grow my engine into it with out having to upgrade again to meet demand. I consulted various shops including SWA for advice and info on a few different models before deciding on the Magnaflow.

Some of my requirements were:

Free Flowing low restriction
low volume output(i dont want attention)
ease of installation
inlet pipe diameter
resistance to the elements and engine temps

Things I didnt want:

Fart can sound. I'd rather be silent and fast than loud and slow.
5" tip, no need on a KA24DE, it's overkill
Bling, while the muffler does look good against the car it's only a muffler

Let's see what others have to say about the art of muffling.

Discuss.

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
i agree w/rev, that's why i chose the magnaflow about 6 months ago

rev, i think you've got the same muffler i do.

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
bowzer said:
i agree w/rev, that's why i chose the magnaflow about 6 months ago

rev, i think you've got the same muffler i do.

looks like its toasting your bumper a little

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
that darkness is actually from a piece of dynamat that was on under the bumper, took it off, but it melted and messed up the paint right there

·
Resident drunken chef!
2,524 Posts
Hey Rev, which one did you get and how much was it? I have the same feelings about mufflers. Cant stand the fart cans either. I was also looking for something with a not so large tip.

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
i love mine and it sounds great..

SWA 99.00 plus shipping

·
Hello my name is Distance
6,028 Posts
i have a custom cat back with Sebring Tuning Muflers

·
_________
312 Posts
Those are couple companies that produce exhaust system, that cought my attention
Magnaflow is the best muffler for it's price and the only on that comes w/ lifetime warranty.
Flowmaster 60Series is pretty much like magnaflow(performancewise), but looks like OEM muffler(finished in black)
Flowtech makes bypass mufflers, you'd have hard time makin' it fit thuogh. Those are the best for HP gains, cuz nothin' beats straight pipe
REMUS mufflers increase flow by 3%-5%, and gives nice deep tone, however it's kinda expensive, just like BORLA. But I guess quality is expencive.
If you're getting a muffler just to sound/look nice, then SuperTrapp tuneable disc muffler would be your best bet(you can adjust the tone by removing or adding discs).

I'm actually planning on getting REMUS some day.

I don't have a lot of time right now, so I will post some links and more detailed info later.

-cheers-

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
So what kind of gains can you reasonably expect to get from a Magnaflow or Flowmaster design? (Muffler only - the rest of the intake & exhaust stock) I don't want the extra sound at all - but a couple more ponies wouldn't hurt.

Crap... I JUST posted the other day about how I was gonna keep my car stock - and today I've been thinking about a shifter AND a muffler. Can a header, WAI and pulley be far behind? :)

Mmmmmust rrrrresist.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Poe99SE said:
So what kind of gains can you reasonably expect to get from a Magnaflow or Flowmaster design? (Muffler only - the rest of the intake & exhaust stock) :)

Mmmmmust rrrrresist.

Not much from the muffler alone. The engine will just have better flow in and out with a muffler that doesn't restrict the exhaust path. Less resistance the engine has, the smoother(through the powerband)and more efficent it will become.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts