The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm sure you're all aware that Best Buy always has free car installs (or most of the time) for car receivers $99 and up. What are your opinions on their installation service? Should I trust them with my car and my new car stereo?

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
Do a search for best buy, and you'll see their installs have only caused night mares for most users!

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rlaing said:
Do a search for best buy, and you'll see their installs have only caused night mares for most users!
That's what my brother told me. I just wanted to see opinions for those with Altimas like mine. I did a search for "best buy*" but that didn't help much because of the 3 words in buy. Adding a * doesn't help either. It's annoying!

Do you know why it's a nightmare to get it installed there?

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
I don't know, I did mine myself. Maybe others will spread some insight!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If it is just a head unit and it is free, I don't see a problem. However they will over charge you for accesories (ie harness, antenna adapter, pocket, etc.).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The Labor is free. They still charge you for the installation kit and the harness. They can probably handle the job without messing anything up, but there is always that chance. One thing you have to watch out for is when they take a apart the dash. I have seen many cases where the installer wasn't careful and scratched the dash.

I'd do it myself just to be sure that it was done right. It is really simple to do. Just buy the installation kit and the wiring harness. Conect the wires from the new harness to those on the new cd player and then just plug it in.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Best Buy has HS kids doing there work. If you want it installed, take it to a real car audio shop. But you should be able to do it yourself. VERY easy.

·
1,849 Posts
djsassan said:
Best Buy has HS kids doing there work. If you want it installed, take it to a real car audio shop. But you should be able to do it yourself. VERY easy.
true....same goes for circuit city and the wiz. HS kids that "know" a lot yet dont have a clue when you ask them specifics.

do it yourself, learn something new on the way, and youll take more pride in your system.

·
Mine's bigger than yours
401 Posts
djsassan said:
A real car audio store will charge $50+, learn how to do it yourself, it's REALLY damn easy to do, plus after that then you can tell your friends and other people you'll install there's for like 20 bucks or so, you can make some money...

·
VTEC Killa!
274 Posts
they do good work

I take offense to all of those remarks mainly because i AM a Best Buy installer. And YES i am in high school and for your information we do know our shit mainly because we would be what you call MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified PROFESSIONAL) so um yeah!

·
VTEC Killa!
274 Posts
also your manufactuers warranty is voided when not installed professionally or done yourself

·
Banned
2 Posts
manufacturer's warranties are not voided. Bullshit.

Power to you for doing installs now.

If I were gonna have anyone touch my car, it would be someone who knows wtf they are doing. Anytime you mess with electrical shit, it better be someone who knows what they are doing, even if its just a radio. Remember the thread a couple of weeks ago, the guy said he worked at BB or CC and they would take people out of other departments and have them work on car installs?

Screw that.

·
no longer new
237 Posts
Re: they do good work

swoosh69007 said:
I take offense to all of those remarks mainly because i AM a Best Buy installer. And YES i am in high school and for your information we do know our shit mainly because we would be what you call MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified PROFESSIONAL) so um yeah!
i guess thats cool you take offense and all, its not like we said "ALL BEST BUY INSTALLERS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING" its just that the majority of us enjoy doing our own installs, and dont want to take a chance and get your free installation because of stories we have heard, either here on .net or from friends.

ive found that the majority of the sales associates in bby carfi get by with just memoriziing the 4 or 5 features printed on the price tags, and know nothing other than those features. as far as the installers go, well lets just say ive heard stories about installations gone bad. i have personal(family member) expirence as well where my sister bought a pioneer deck and all new speakers (vegas i think) for her tahoe and got free install, however the PROFESSIONAL, as you refer to yourself as, failed to hook up the speakers in the back doors, only hooking up the speakers in the front doors and rear cabin. when i went with her to take it back they were too busy they said (there was an empty install bay) and said if we needed them to look at it now it would be $50, since the free install promo was over.

anyways, as far as im concerned bby doesnt sell any high quality car audio products, so i dont even waste my time there anymore. now you may get some great deals on some lightening audio bolt amps and jensen speakers, oh and dont forget the aiwa decks with your employee discount, but nothing worth showing off.

btw...im in no way bashing you or critisizing (sp?) your "professionalism" just merely stating my opinion of a corporation.

one more thing, how are you a high school student and working in the install bay? i thought you had to be 18 or older for insurance requirements, but i may be wrong. even so, best buy doesnt follow OSHA guidelines every time they put someone on the floor under 18.

·
Mine's bigger than yours
401 Posts
Re: Re: they do good work

JasonDub said:
one more thing, how are you a high school student and working in the install bay? i thought you had to be 18 or older for insurance requirements, but i may be wrong. even so, best buy doesnt follow OSHA guidelines every time they put someone on the floor under 18.
How do you know he's not 18... :rolleyes:

·
Mine's bigger than yours
401 Posts
oh one more thing why are yall bashing this man, i think it's cool that he's in high school and his job is installing stereo's... What high school kid wouldn't love that job...

·
no longer new
237 Posts
Re: Re: Re: they do good work

sleepa said:

How do you know he's not 18... :rolleyes:
well when your in high school your usually anywhere from 14-18...so i guess there is a slight chance he is 18 (20%)

sleepa said:

why are yall bashing this man
NOTE: SEE THE 4TH PARAGRAGH OF MY POST

·
Banned
384 Posts
It's fairly easy to install a radio in an Altima. Once you get the Cover off around your shifter, just start taking out the screws and you'll get it done in no time.

·
VTEC Killa!
274 Posts
i am not just talkin about installing cd decks, what about amps, changers, xm, and mobile video. It is not all as easy as it seems. I don't know about other best buys but ours has a specific install team and ONLY they are allowed in the bay. I am 18 and a senior in high school i have late birthday. I was a sales associate but moved to the back when i turned 18. I do know what I am doing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts