The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is better for my car if i have a RF 1000.1 and RF 400.4 amp and a car alarm, a red or yellpw top optima battery
the yellow ones are more money but most people have red tops
what is the better one to buy?

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
i think the Yellow tops are used mainly if u have a nive media or sound system..i think..im not sure

·
KUSTOM SOUNDS OWNER
238 Posts
there is not a big differance they say red is better for raceing and yellow is for systems but both have the same resorve time .
so it is the color of you choice.
jayson

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
dixiepit said:
The yellow top is a marine battery.and the red top is car batery they will both work. The yellow top has more cranking amps and standby than the red top. I think that is right!:confused:
Noooooooooo... The blue top is the marine battery.. yellow is the deep cycle, and red is the starting battery.

Yellow is intended to power the system with the engine off, while the red is intended to use as a stock replacement.. If I get one I'll probably go with Red...

·
95 Posts
THE ORANGE TOP IS WHAT YOU WANT IF YOUR GONNA GET A OPTIMA THE POWER IS ON THE LEFT TO FIT OUR CARS, BUT OPTIMA BATTERYS SUCK, I HAD BOTH A RED AND YELLOW TOP ANDTHEY BOTH FAIL'D ON ME. SO I USE 2 STINGER SP-800'S NOW

·
Registered
407 Posts
ALTIMA99seR said:
THE ORANGE TOP IS WHAT YOU WANT IF YOUR GONNA GET A OPTIMA THE POWER IS ON THE LEFT TO FIT OUR CARS
This is correct, but using anything other than a red or orange under the hood will void the warranty. I don't belive the oranges are out yet with the dual post tho, if it matters to anyone, I can check it out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
TL's got the descriptions covered.... :D

I have the red top and it's been great so far (the one week that I've had it) I've never heard of more than one or two people complain about them for whatever reason. Maybe they thought they were immortal and could run their house off of it's power.

The posts (positive and negative being on the "wrong" side) never caused a problem for me. It still sat in the trey just fine and the terminals were well within reach for my + and - cables.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Simans82 said:
TL's got the descriptions covered.... :D

I have the red top and it's been great so far (the one week that I've had it) I've never heard of more than one or two people complain about them for whatever reason. Maybe they thought they were immortal and could run their house off of it's power.

The posts (positive and negative being on the "wrong" side) never caused a problem for me. It still sat in the trey just fine and the terminals were well within reach for my + and - cables.
I had a hard time streatching to the positive, and if I turned the battery around, the negative wasn't even trying to go that far.

·
95 Posts
JASON '95 said:

This is correct, but using anything other than a red or orange under the hood will void the warranty. I don't belive the oranges are out yet with the dual post tho, if it matters to anyone, I can check it out.
THE ORANGE TOP HAS BEEN AVAL FOR A WHILE NOW, A LEAST HERE IN NEW YORK IT IS, AND NO USING ANY BATTERY DOSE NOT VOID ANY WARRANTY WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT DONT SAY THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE, MORON

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
JASON '95 said:
I heard using a Red or Orange in a car with a system voids the warranty too, but I'm not positive..

btw, either style will work on the alty.. (red vs. orange) been done both ways with no modification..

·
Registered
407 Posts
ALTIMA99seR said:

THE ORANGE TOP HAS BEEN AVAL FOR A WHILE NOW, A LEAST HERE IN NEW YORK IT IS, AND NO USING ANY BATTERY DOSE NOT VOID ANY WARRANTY WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT DONT SAY THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE, MORON
Why don't I take a optima battery and shove it straight up your ****ing ass???

·
Registered
453 Posts
TL said:
I heard using a Red or Orange in a car with a system voids the warranty too, but I'm not positive..
Well we're ALL screwed.... DAMNIT! lol

Warranties are supposed to help us, not set us back if something goes wrong. I doubt they'd ever know you had a system though, but I might be curious if someone fried an Optima Battery too (from the companies perspective).

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wasn't saying they would find out, just that you should use the one that was made for it's intended purpose. If you called optima, tell them your yellow top's not starting your car and you'd like a replacement, that's when there gonna tell you.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Interesting tidbits from the Optima FAQ:
9. Can I hook an OPTIMA up in parallel with my other battery?
No, when hooking batteries together in parallel they should be of identical make, model, and of similar age.

12. What is the difference between your deep cycle and starter battery?
The OPTIMA deep cycle battery utilizes a different chemistry for the active paste material on the plates, and a slightly stronger acid. This chemistry changes allows for a much longer life in cycling applications, with only a slight reduction in power.

13. What does deep cycle mean?
Deep cycle means using the battery in an application that will typically discharge 60% to 70% or more of the batter y capacity. An automotive battery is an SLI (starting, lighting, ignition) battery. It's plates are designed to deliver maximum power for a short duration. Starting a car typically discharges an SLI battery only 1% to 3%. When an SLI battery is used in a deep cycle application, or in a vehicle with heavy accessory loads, the battery life will be shortened proportionally to how deeply it is cycled on a regular basis.

14. When should I consider a deep cycle?
Any time you need the battery to supply all the operating power for a vehicle or other device. Additionally, deep cycle batteries should be used in vehicles that have heavy accessory loads where the alternator cannot maintain the battery in a fully charged condition.

17. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.
That basically explains everything, except the warranty issue...

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
and the answer to that question.. kinda..

Car Audio:
Yellow Top/Deep Cycle onlyRed Top/SLI will not be covered by warranty
If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.
Yellow top it is.. :) Yay, I learned something today..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.