The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the VB upgrade for my car along with some new solenoids for my tranny. I got the street/strip one and wanted to know if anyone installed this themselves. The tranny intimidates the shit outta me. I have been having a 12 long 5 short (line pressure solenoid circ) and Jeff was telling me about a problem that altima/maxima trannys have with the stock solenoids. Hopefully this will get rid of my problem with my tranny.

Anyway, I spent a total of $680 which included 5 solenoids, VB, and core charge which I should get back when I send my old one back. I'll keep ya'll updated with how it goes and I hope you guys wish me luck.
 

·
$ make my Engine go Round
Joined
·
1,157 Posts

·
I'm The Yellow Member
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
jree said:
I just ordered the VB upgrade for my car along with some new solenoids for my tranny. I got the street/strip one and wanted to know if anyone installed this themselves. The tranny intimidates the shit outta me. I have been having a 12 long 5 short (line pressure solenoid circ) and Jeff was telling me about a problem that altima/maxima trannys have with the stock solenoids. Hopefully this will get rid of my problem with my tranny.

Anyway, I spent a total of $680 which included 5 solenoids, VB, and core charge which I should get back when I send my old one back. I'll keep ya'll updated with how it goes and I hope you guys wish me luck.
How much is a core charge?
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics aren't working but when I get this thing, I'm gonna need help b/c the tranny is the only thing that scares the bejesus outta me.
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Ordered VB upgrade

russman said:
How much is a core charge?
The core charge is 2 bills but you get it back as soon as you send yours in. THe cool thing is that you doesn't rush you at all to send it back.
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the one from Jeff at Maximum Tuning since I heard that he's a member of this site. I kinda like to support the members of .net. Alex has almost all of money that I put into my car:p. BTW, I just got my magnaflow 14829 in today
 

·
I'm The Yellow Member
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
So you can have them program the VB 3 ways?

1 - stock upgrade - Improves shifting to extend tranny life without sacrificing a comfortable ride.

2 - street/strip - greatly quickens 1-2 shift and slightly quickens 2-3 shift to improve tranny life(especially on vehicles with modified engines) Good for everyday driver/weekend racer looking for sreetable performance.

3 - Race - Very hard 1-2 shift. Car will most likly "chirp" wheels under hard accelertation. Hard shifts will be noticed at all times.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,942 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ordered VB upgrade

jree said:
The core charge is 2 bills but you get it back as soon as you send yours in. THe cool thing is that you doesn't rush you at all to send it back.
Yeah but I'd be rushing it back to get my 2 bills back. Congrats and good luck with the install. If it really scares you maybe you should have a pro do the work.

Anyways let us know how it turns out!
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
russman said:
So you can have them program the VB 3 ways?

1 - stock upgrade - Improves shifting to extend tranny life without sacrificing a comfortable ride.

2 - street/strip - greatly quickens 1-2 shift and slightly quickens 2-3 shift to improve tranny life(especially on vehicles with modified engines) Good for everyday driver/weekend racer looking for sreetable performance.

3 - Race - Very hard 1-2 shift. Car will most likly "chirp" wheels under hard accelertation. Hard shifts will be noticed at all times.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, but Jeff was telling me about the differences in shifting between the three. The first one is obviously a little better than stock but won't give you the type of shifting that you want and the 3rd one shifts too hard all the time. He was telling me that the 2nd one is the best one for an everyday driver car b/c it shifts hard and strong in first to second and 3rd and 4th are improved slightly.

I really wanted the race one just so I can woop up on my boys 96 auto maxima but Jeff didn't think that it would be bearable to drive for someone that drives as much as I do.
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ordered VB upgrade

Dom said:
Yeah but I'd be rushing it back to get my 2 bills back. Congrats and good luck with the install. If it really scares you maybe you should have a pro do the work.

Anyways let us know how it turns out!
Trust me I'll be rushing it back as fast as I can. It does scare me but Jeff keeps on reassuring me about the ease of it and if I need any help I can call him up and he'll instruct me on what to do.

Thanks Dom and I got my JWT pop charger from avalon racing and this thing is bad ass
 

·
what is in a name?
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
russman said:
You should also get a TC :)
heard its not worth it until you use some kind of big horsepower gain ie. turbo or nos
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
russman said:
You should also get a TC :)
I was going to get both but I was told by numerous people that sell them and install them (including Jeff) that it isn't worth the money. The only way that I would do it is if I needed a complete tranny rebuild. The TC costs 4 bills give or take and the install is about the same. Plus I read that a TC is deadly on a tranny w/out a tranny cooler which costs around 100.

I know that the VB prolongs the life of a tranny which is why I went this route and decided to pass on the TC. My car has 85k mi on it and I'm going to have it for atleast another 3 years.
 

·
slow poke
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
clo007 said:
heard its not worth it until you use some kind of big horsepower gain ie. turbo or nos
Thats exactly what I heard and decided to pass on it.

EDIT: I'm taking my body kit off my car and going back to stock. Prolly going to get a 00-01 bumper.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top