The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've heard a lot of different things about the over drive botton and when to use it. I was told to have overdrive ON when driving in the city... and OFF when on the freeway... Is that true? When is the best time to have it on or off??

Thanks

·
JDM NCP31 & CZ4A
6,528 Posts
to me...i drive on the freeway and street on...but on freeway entrance i have it off...(given that cuz it'll make me lock in 3rd gear {more power} on the entrance)...then i would turn it back on when i'm in the lane that i need...(not so loud too)...so yea...but to me our autos are 3 gears...and the O/D gives us the 4th gear...

now i want a 5 spd :p

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
with the overdrive "on" the tranny will use the highest gear possible (4th on most passenger vehicles) while providing decent accleration and fuel saving since it keeps the engine rpm down.

with overdrive "off", the tranny will use the lowest gear possible at the speed you're traveling, especially a good feature if you're climbing up the mountain as the gear keep the engine in it's powerband, and on downhill (certain OD system only, mostly on full size vehicles, otherwise the tranny will switch back to neutral whenever you lift your foot off the throttle pedal) it'll allow some engine braking that help slows you down, otherwise keep you in gear so you can acclerate quickly when needed to do so.

read the owner's manual, otherwise go to an empty parking lot and learn how to use the automatic tranny properly.

·
altima/dsm lover4life
1,511 Posts
XOoET64oOX said:
to me...i drive on the freeway and street on...but on freeway entrance i have it off...(given that cuz it'll make me lock in 3rd gear {more power} on the entrance)...then i would turn it back on when i'm in the lane that i need...(not so loud too)...so yea...but to me our autos are 3 gears...and the O/D gives us the 4th gear...

now i want a 5 spd :p
Finally man! I got to tell you the truth man I thought your car was straightup ugly but now I see you finally got it painted and she looks damn good.. Hats off

·
JDM NCP31 & CZ4A
6,528 Posts
QuickS97 said:
Finally man! I got to tell you the truth man I thought your car was straightup ugly but now I see you finally got it painted and she looks damn good.. Hats off
uh...thanx...

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
Alright, since there is some confusion in these posts, I will give my end of the story. As far as I know this is correct. The information is from the altima owner's manual and road experience.

When the over drive switch is off, the car will use the first three forward gears and will use higher shifting points in these gears. When I excellerate (even slowly) with OD off, my car won't shift to second until about 15-18 mph (will shift at 5-6 when OD is on). It also shifts up to third around 35mpg. My tranny seems to stay in third no matter how fast I go from here on, but it always does this funny 'hiccup' kind of thing right around 50 mph if I'm giving it full throttle. The rpms get up to around 3grand and then drop back to 2700 for no aparent reason (yet I continue to accelerate).

When the over drive switch is on, the car uses the four forward gears, and a fifth overdrive gear that will work only when the car is warmed up to normal temperature. The shift points are as efficient as possible and I shift into this mysterious "fifth" gear around 42-45 mph. When I am crusing on the highway at 70, my car revs at 2500 if I'm in the overdrive gear, around 2900 if I'm in fourth (won't stay there long because it always goes to overdrive, and about 4000 if in third gear.

Can anyone else verify these?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think your funny hiccups and mysterious fifth gear is the torque converter locking up (which is normal).

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Vmax911 said:
I think your funny hiccups and mysterious fifth gear is the torque converter locking up (which is normal).
Yes. It is. :)

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
Yes, the "fifth shift" isn't a shift but the locking of the torque converter. My Accord did that. I've never driven an automatic Altima, but if what I've heard is true, they suck.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
O/D light on = Overdrive Off, meaning top gear is third gear

O/D light off = Overdrive On, meaning top gear is fourth gear

I reccommend Overdrive off when your top speed cannot go above 40-45 mph for any length off time, becasue of traffic or city driving. Also when the transmission is "hunting" between third & fourth gears like going up a steep hill.

Not very complicated really.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm wondering if this locking of the TC has n e thing to do with the rpms going down a bit around 85-90 mph?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts