The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive alwways wanted to know what the overdrive button on automatics do? what are they used for? can u leave the overdrive button on the whole time or will that mess up your engine...?

thanks

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
kettnerc said:
^^^ and will allow locking after your engine is warmed up (which will feel like a fifth gear but it's not).
It will not shift into fourth gear when cold or lock up, but the lock-up is in the torque converter. This means that lock-up happens in other gears as well. (when warm)

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
I'll have to try getting it to lock in lower gears some time, but I doubt it's possible.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
kierandill said:
I'll have to try getting it to lock in lower gears some time, but I doubt it's possible.
My FSM says that is should lock up in third between around 52 to 58 mph with a light throttle.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
kenshi said:
My FSM says that is should lock up in third between around 52 to 58 mph with a light throttle.
Well that sucks - one of the reasons I was taking OD off when I pull a trailer is to keep it from locking. I was told by an independant trans repair shop that it is bad in general to have them lock with a heavy trailer on. Now I'll have to figure out a switch.
Or buy that used truck I've been thinking about...:D

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
kettnerc said:
My 96 WILL shift into fourth when cold if overdrive is enabled.

I can also verify that when overdrive is off and the engine is warm, there will be a lock in 3rd gear. It happens between 3200 and 3500 rpms for me.
Yeah - my 97.5 will do 4th when cold. It just won't lock up cold. In fact, since I put on the aux trans oil cooler, it sometimes will unlock long after I've started a trip when cruising at 55-65 in single-digit temps because the fluid gets too cold. It'll run unlocked for a few miles, then lock again.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
kierandill said:
Well that sucks - one of the reasons I was taking OD off when I pull a trailer is to keep it from locking. I was told by an independant trans repair shop that it is bad in general to have them lock with a heavy trailer on.
I woulld think that locking would be better than having the torque converter generate all that heat.

And since when have you started believing what repair shops tell you? :D

·
22,052 Posts
My 91 Maxima won't shift into OD for a while when it's cold. I leave the OD switch off until the heater is making decent heat, then I flip the switch. I've driven over 10 miles on the interstate until it would go into OD. I feel like a putz going 50 in the right lane waiting for the car to warm up enough to shift. But I need to be gentle....it's getting old, and the tranny is my guess for what's gonna kill the car.

·
EL COME TOTO!!!
962 Posts
umm no i think thats the biggest size i can get it, maybe u should get a bigger screen IMO...im not good wit a torch i might just light up the max wit u in it:flames:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts