The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lemon laws?

Let me first say I really like my Altima. However, need opinion. I have a 2.5S with the thumping/rattling noise coming from right rear. I've taken it to 1 dealer 3 times and another dealer once. They have verified there is a noise there but dont know how to fix it. One dealership said they tightened the jack holder and that got rid of noise they said. After I picked up the car after hours today, the noise was still there. It used to be that I'd hear it going over bumps at less than 30mph. Now no matter how fast, there is a rattling, thumping. It's not the same sound I've heard in other cars when the suspension hits. I've also had the speedo replaced. I've had the car for about 2 months. I'm wondering if it could be the exhaust. I'm taking it to Jon Lancaster tomorrow to check the exhaust. They were at least good enough to contact Nissan. Nissan is aware of a problem. Does anyone think I'd have any sort of Lemon Law right to try out a new Altima? I doubt it, but thought I'd find out if someone knew. Thanks.

·
Faster than your Altima.
373 Posts
I Doubt it aswell. If it runs it is fine. a Little noise should not make it a lemon. IMO.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
i dunno about you, but one of the books in my Nissan pack in the glove box is specifically about the lemon law, yoiur rights, etc.
The salesguy even specifically pointed it out during delivery.
Good luck with whatever yoiu decide.
I had the thump too (mine is 5 days and 200 miles old), but with a load across the entire trunk area of the t-ball gear for the 2 teams that my wife and i coach, i have no thump...
Later
Greg

G

·
I have already enacted the Lemon Law on my SE. My problem is the service engine light. However, that noise in the trunk area might be some of the wires hitting the trunk lid or quarter panels. I went around and duct taped all the wires so they would make noise. I think the trunk being aluminum, amplifies the noise from the wires and hard plastic connectors hitting. The thumping noise that we all hear (one of the other bumps, creeks and groans some of us have) might just be the sway bar bushings. When they replaced my gas tank, they had to remove them and after the tank was changed, the intensity of the bump was reduced. One thing I noticed last weekend, my friend has an I30 and riding in the back seat of his car, he had very similar suspension noises, that thump. I actually thought his car was not as quiet as mine when riding in the back seat nor was it as nice a ride. I will admit, the leather in his was ten times nicer then the leather in the altima.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
My brother did it with his Mercedes ML and won, but went all the way to court, after a year!

What you need to do first is find out the lemon law in your state.
If you qualify, then you must get a laywer to write a letter of intent.

THen you procede from there.

It is not easy, it is time consuming and expensive(legal fees)

THey make it hard on purpose

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nissan is Aware (I Hope)

There is a discussion thread with ~65 replies about this problem (thumping in rear). I think Nissan is aware of the problem, but are not sure how to correct it at this time. Don't let them tell you it is the spare, jack,etc because it isn't. I took everything, and I mean everything out of the trunk and the noise is still there.
Until they have a remedy, my 2.5S will steer clear of the service Depts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well lemon law in my state does not cover NOISES. As well if you check your owners manual is will tell you noises are not covered by the warranty. So as for a issue with a thumping noise turn up the radio. Im sorry dude... Or wait until Nissan has a fix. They will it just may take time…

NUMBER ONE ON ISSUES

PLEASE CALL NISSAN DIRECT TO REPORT THE PROBLEM YOUR DEALERSHIP MAY NOT. IF YOU DO NOT IT WILL NOT GO ON RECORD. IF YOU WANT TO GET THIS ISSUE RESOLVED CALL NISSAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.