The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm inheriting my finace's 95 Nissan Altima while she drives my Toyota 4Runner and I've noticed the engine light came on. While reading through some of your great posts. I learned how to take the codes but after I replaced the fuel filter and front oxygen sensor. After doing this the check engine light came on. The car rides pretty good. I did the code checking deal with the screw driver on the ECU and looked at my Haynes manuel and it came back Check Knock sensor 3 slow blinks and 4 quick. It also came back check rear oxygen sensor 7 slow blinks and 7 quick.
I'm thinking of going to NAPA and purching a real oxygen sensor hoping that this will fix the problem. I would replace the knock engine sensor but see its a pain to replace. I may attempt it. Do you think I need both? Originally the engine hesitated when it was cold and shook. After heating up it ran fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Boa

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you changed your Knock sensor? Does removing the oil filter make it that much easier to get to?

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
I've replaced it before and let me tell you it can be very frustrating. I didn't removed the oil filter but instead worked it from underneath the car...raised car. You will need small hands and a lot of patience to get the mounting bolt to screw.

You should confirm that the knock sensor is bad. There is a harness connector on the passenger side behind the fuel rail where you can take resistance measurement. The sensor should read approximately 550K ohms. Take the reading with a cold engine. Then drive the car until the engine is warm. Take another reading. If the readings are ever in the Megohms then it is bad, period.

This is one area where Nissan quality or quality-control has failed. I wish they were listening.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
^ Yup and that's all across the board....from the Sentra to the Titan knock sensor is an issue

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
For those wondering where the 8-pin harness connector for testing the knock sensor is, it is right here,

One lead of the ohmmeter should go to ground and the other you backprobe the white wire pertaining to the signal wire of the knock sensor. Check the schematics if in doubt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts