The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 2013 Altima with 78,5xx miles finally had its first problem -- MIL lamp illuminated, code P0101. This indicates a MAF sensor fault.

I installed a K&N filter over a year ago, so I assume some of the oil may have made its way to the wire sensor on the MAF. I bought some MAF sensor cleaner this evening, removed and cleaned the sensor, and let everything thoroughly dry before reinstalling. Total time invested: 30 minutes.

I cleared the code and started and drove the vehicle three times since, and the problem appears to be resolved.

tl;dr: If you get code P0101 in your Altima, go spend $5 on a can of MAF cleaner before replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I get that code every so often, I just clear it. I heard there is a recall?--something like a software update. That will fix it also

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that, but with the K&N and nearly 80k miles, I figured it would be a good idea to clean the MAF before clearing the code. I'm out of warranty, and don't really want to pay the dealer for the work. It's a TSB, not a recall.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner ftw

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had same issue, code will return...reprogramming ECU resolved issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same code and replaced the new MAF and i erased the code and hasn't come back. It's been 3 days since I replaced it.

So you guys are saying it will come back?

Where can you do the reprogramming??

This also goes for Altima 2011 sedan right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tsb for this issue. Reprogramming required as stated.

Hey Mike, do you happen to have the tsb# for this issue and/or the details in the tab. Thank you!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As predicted, the code did come back. I cleared it, and will (at some point) pay the dealer to perform the TSB. I'm reluctant to take it in and have them charge me $200+ for a software update that should be free, but that's what happens when you're out of warranty.

The car now has 80k miles with no other problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As predicted, the code did come back. I cleared it, and will (at some point) pay the dealer to perform the TSB. I'm reluctant to take it in and have them charge me $200+ for a software update that should be free, but that's what happens when you're out of warranty.

The car now has 80k miles with no other problems.
Yea, so did mine. Looks like I'm not alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our MIL came on just after Christmas, P0101 MAF Sensor. I reset the light, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the air filter and the MIL light came on yesterday - about 12 days after the reset.

Looks like the ECM needs reprogramming, our 2011 Altima has about 54k on the odometer, about 4 years 9 months since purchase. The warranty book indicates the ECM is covered for 8 years or 80k (whichever comes first). Based on this info, should I expect the ECM reprogramming cost to be covered by warranty?

By the way, there are some really good You Tube videos on MAF cleaning. Also, for anyone looking to purchase a diagnostic scan tool the BlueDriver sensor/tool is great - retail $100.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here is a little know fact about the MAF and it's need for "cleaning".

It does not need to be "cleaned" chemically or otherwise .

Within a few minutes of engine shut down the ECM signals the MAF to start it self clean function.

The the MAF uses battery voltage to heat the sensing wire to temps reaching 1500 degrees, this heating burns off debris that can get stuck on the hot wire during engine operation.

most times cleaning the MAF chemically can and at times damage it.

Just an FYI ...

·
Registered
129 Posts
What does the ECM reprogramming do ? Does it then ignore the sensor like the infamous scandalous reprogramming that was done to ignore the crankshaft position sensor on my 2006 Altima along with 800000 others that was on the recall of August 2007 and November 2007?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a little know fact about the MAF and it's need for "cleaning".

It does not need to be "cleaned" chemically or otherwise .

Within a few minutes of engine shut down the ECM signals the MAF to start it self clean function.

The the MAF uses battery voltage to heat the sensing wire to temps reaching 1500 degrees, this heating burns off debris that can get stuck on the hot wire during engine operation.

most times cleaning the MAF chemically can and at times damage it.

Just an FYI ...
Thanks for the good info. Cleaning it didn't seem to cause any additional problems -- I used a MAF cleaner and never touched the wire, and let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling.

Interestingly, the code came back on again, and I cleared it. I removed the K&N filter I had been using and put in a typical paper filter, and the code hasn't returned since (over a month now).

·
Registered
591 Posts
ohh the infamous p0101 code.....

What does the ECM reprogramming do ? Does it then ignore the sensor like the infamous scandalous reprogramming that was done to ignore the crankshaft position sensor on my 2006 Altima along with 800000 others that was on the recall of August 2007 and November 2007?
the ecm programming codes a new set of parameters for the ecm to read off the maf sensor. same applied to the cpm/ckp sensor recall

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are incorrect about the 2007 crankshaft position sensor reprogramming of the ECM on the 2002-2006 Altima. You don't understand what a Hall sensor does when reading the crankshaft position? The sensor consists of a magnet and an Integrated Circuit. The teeth of the signal plate at the end of the crankshaft cause a gap as they rotate which is read by the crankshaft position sensor as a change in secondary voltage created on the magnetic field at a 90 degree angle to the magnetic field on the integrated silicon circuit. When the teeth on the signal plate of the crankshaft rotate this causes the magnetic field to be blocked and unblocked which causes the secondary voltage to oscillate.The voltage supplied by the sensor then amplifies this voltage if positive or does nothing if zero and sends it to the ECM. If the sensor is working intermittently as in the case of the faulty 2002-2006 sensors then the ECM doesn't know where the gap on the teeth is. If the crankshaft position sensor output is delayed for an instant then the ECM cannot possibly coordinate that properly with the camshaft position sensor. In the words of and I quote one of the top Nissan mechanics that works directly for NISSAN USA, said " The reprogrammed ECU uses the crankshaft position sensor as a reference." Notice he did not say the reverse as you have done. You have swallowed corporate Nissan gobbledygook hook line and sinker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts