Discussion Starter #1
2005 Altima S 2.5L with 250,xxx+ mi.
Low mileage powertrain (71,000mi.).
Replaced fuel pump twice.
New cam and crank position sensors.
New spark plugs and coil pack boots.
New MAF (replaced twice).
New intake elbow/boot.

This is a problem I've been struggling with for almost a year and I just can't figure it out. It's so bizzare but the car will only stall out if I drive in a circle going to the left, but not to the right, with half a tank or less of fuel. Also, if I take a left turn hard enough. I've had the P0171 code on for the longest (even before the powertrain replacement) and I don't know what to try next.

Other than that it drives great.

While I was replacing the fuel pump I tried to inspect the tank for damaged/broken baffles or something but everything looks intact and really
clean.

I'm completely bamboozled over this...

Halp.

P0171 = Fuel injection system too lean bank 1

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,686 Posts
So with a full tank, you can circle left no issues? Half a tank or less and it stalls out?

·
Registered
133 Posts
That question is the key. Cant go farther without that. It seems so but lets be sure.
I would be leaning toward a pinched or chaffed harness.
Has it ever done it in any other situation other than left turns?

·
5,686 Posts
I was leaning towards electric gremlins, but if there is a very strong tank level correlation that tends to discredit that direction as fuel level should be largely irrelevant (no correlation) in that case.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bump because I'm curious how this turns out.

Had a '93 Chevy 1500, once upon a time with a weird stalling issue. I'd had the starter replaced and the mechanic didn't tie back the cable from the battery to the starter when he was finished (now that I think about it, why'd he unharness it?). It kept swinging over and bumping up against the exhaust manifold, eventually burning through the insulation and shorting the connection every time it touched thereafter. Eventually the cable was ruined and I was stuck on the side of the road completely baffled until a mechanic knew exactly what went wrong when I happened to call his shop and came out and fixed me up on the spot so I wouldn't have to tow it.

·
5,686 Posts
Ok, that's not the easiest clue to work with...but here's a thought. If you had water in the tank, because the pump is on the left side, a left turn would cause the water under the gas to all slosh to the left side...making the depth of water higher and possibly causing the pump to pump water instead of gas.

Other than that, unless one of the tank straps is loose, allowing the tank to flex when turning and causing electrical harness issues, I'm pretty stumped...given what you've replaced. The only other explanation is weak fuel pressure...either due to a bad pump, clogged filter sock or crushed fuel line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would say its still a bad fuel pump?

When you turn left, all fuel goes to the right (physics).

Pump probably can't suck it up? Shouldn't be hard to rpelace? $50 bucks

Since it drives I would just have a mechanic diagnose it just in case... its better to be safe than sorry.

Power steering could also be a problem? I've seen other posts with Maximas having similar issues.

Replacing 'FUEL PUMP' on 2002 Nissan Altima - YouTube

https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Pump-Nissan-Altima-04/dp/B01DB5E1UU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515027643&sr=8-3&keywords=nissan+altima+2005+fuel+pump

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I've replaced the fuel pump twice to date.

First time I thought we got a bad pump so I got it warrantee'd out but unfortunately it's still doing it.

I think I just need to get the car in the air and have a look at all the fuel lines.

I spoke with a technician and he mentioned sometimes it can be the P/S switch. If it's not functioning correctly the computer may not be able to adjust the idle or up the power like it should. Not really certain it's that but I'll try replacing it anyway just for trial and error. The Altima does have a P/S leak...

·
5,686 Posts
Presumably when turning left you are accelerating? Regardless, I don't think the PS pump could stall out the engine. Let us know if it does though!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Altima S 2.5L with 250,xxx+ mi.
Low mileage powertrain (71,000mi.).
Replaced fuel pump twice.
New cam and crank position sensors.
New spark plugs and coil pack boots.
New MAF (replaced twice).
New intake elbow/boot.

This is a problem I've been struggling with for almost a year and I just can't figure it out. It's so bizzare but the car will only stall out if I drive in a circle going to the left, but not to the right, with half a tank or less of fuel. Also, if I take a left turn hard enough. I've had the P0171 code on for the longest (even before the powertrain replacement) and I don't know what to try next.

Other than that it drives great.

While I was replacing the fuel pump I tried to inspect the tank for damaged/broken baffles or something but everything looks intact and really
clean.

I'm completely bamboozled over this...

Halp.

P0171 = Fuel injection system too lean bank 1
Did you ever figure this out. I’m having that issue with my 2014 Altima

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The fuel pump is now a module to hold gas right at the pump when the tank level gets low to slosh fuel away from the pump. The module itself has to stay full to keep working through harder turns, if the pump begins to drop output or any possible one way check valve messes up (fuel has to be able to get into module but not out) then the module itself begins to run out of fuel and then engine dies on hard turn. Can be one way or the other and depends on car design.

Commonly running the car very low on fuel can cause that when the pump starves a lot, they will only take maybe 60 seconds of dry running before going bad, the pump impellers are plastic and fuel cooled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts