The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 Altima has been running pretty decent the last few months until Saturday night when I hopped in for a quick trip to the store.

My SES light has been on since I bought the car a year ago and the only "part" I have replaced since ownership is a crankshaft sensor so the vehicle has been good to me and I want to keep it for many more years to come.

I have been searching the threads and while there is ALOT of good info about these codes it is a bit overwhelming to sort through it myself. Could anyone offer some advice as to what my next steps would be? How would I know if my cat is bad versus an oxygen sensor being bad?

Any bump in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
600 Posts
Yes P0420 is very common esp the 2.5L QR25DE engine, your 2nd o2 is reading dif that the pre-cat is going out and not doing its job. Sadly can lead to a known engine failure with the pre-cat going out with time. You still have a main cat mid car, so aftermarket header will do the trick of not worrying of the pre-cat. Engine will breath much better and nice gains from 3k-redline also. If you are 3.5L V6, Headers are little bigger install and are more spendy to buy.

I am not familiar with the other CEL offhand.

Good luck!

Feel free to msg any questions with header mod / o2 spacer trick for no P0420 CEL .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your car burning oil? If so your precat is bad,I would try a header install
not currently, minimal oil consumption...I add a half qrt every 6 months maybe..maybe not quite that much...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Picked this header up from ProTuningLab about 2 weeks ago in hopes I can make changes so I wont have to worry with the precat issue for my 2.5 anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will just need an o2 spacer on the last o2 sensor, so in your case since 04+ it is in your midpipe for no P0420 CEL with the header mod.

Enjoy !
I guess I am in need of a spacer for that second o2 sensor. Any recommendations on where I can pick up spacer guaranteed to work/fit on my '05 Altima? Thanks

Reactions: MarkSpecV

·
600 Posts
02 spacer

I guess I am in need of a spacer for that second o2 sensor. Any recommendations on where I can pick up spacer guaranteed to work/fit on my '05 Altima? Thanks
Yes sir ! It's an Easy trick I've used for 13yrs, I've included them with my header sales and sell them by themselves.

Pm Sent!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes sir ! It's an Easy trick I've used for 13yrs, I've included them with my header sales and sell them by themselves.

Pm Sent!
Thanks for the FB add and I have sent a pm as well, thanks for all your help.

Reactions: MarkSpecV
1 - 9 of 9 Posts