The Nissan Club banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Nissan Murano 2007 (purchased in 2010) and I am the second owner. The car has lot less mileage on it @ 85Kmiles. I am sorry that I am posting in a Altima forum. The main reason is that the DTS error code I got (P1778) is matching with what other have been receiving in this topic/thread.

The local Nissan service center is recommending the replacement of the CVT

Is there a place where I can get any CVT repair/servicing done (I live on the west Spokane) ?
Any advise is appreciated.
Yes, they love replacing transmissions. Your 2007 Murano might have a previous version of the transmission. I think they might have changed them in 2008. But it is still the same situation.

Your best bet, if you aren't inclined to do the work yourself, is to call the local transmission shops and ask if they work on Nissan CVT transmissions and whether they are able and willing to work on the valve body parts instead of just replacing the whole transmission. The Nissan service centers and almost all transmission shops will want to replace the whole transmission, because it is a nice profit for them. I doubt you'll find one who will just work on the valve body (which doesn't require removing the whole transmission, which is a large part of the cost in labor), but you can try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the hack. Saved me at least $2500 on my son's 2011 Altima. Especially the dental floss! Wow!!!! I never would've figured that out. I'm curious....how did you learn that trick?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't speak for the original poster, but in my case, I put a toothpick up through a hole that I believe is in the valve body for that very reason (to hold back spring loaded ratio arm), with some fishing line tied to it. Once the valve body was up in place, with that arm locked into the rod sticking down from the transmission, I pulled the toothpick out slowly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Was there any I-key errors linked to it? I have the 1778 but my speedo with drop to zero while driving and simultaneously the I-key light pops up. I replaced the transmission speed sensor but to change.

What is a good place to get a step motor? I have an 07 2.5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Benzolorenzo1,
This is very helpful. I think I need to replace the stepper motor on my 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s. A few days ago while driving noticed the car getting stuck in the lower gears. It was revving the RPMs. Then at one point it struggled to take off while at a stop light. I notice the check engine light on. Once I got home I left the car parked for few days, then this morning I went to start the car and all of the electrical would turn on and the car would try an start but then it would just give up after a few tries. It was weird, I put my foot on the brake, pressed the ignition, and it would try starting for a couple of seconds then stop. I plugged in the code machine and have the P1778 code. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, great write up! I'm having an issue where it feels like my car doesn't "shift" I know CVTs don't have gears, but it feels like I can't get into anything past 1st or 2nd gear. I read the codes and I'm getting the P1778. is this the same issue you were getting?
I replace my stepper motor on my Nissan Altima 2012 and don't move the gear I need to reprogram

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I replaced the stepper motor along with the entire Valve body. It got even worse! So I was told the tcm needed reprogrammed. So I took it to the dealership, and OF COURSE they said completel transmission failure. How is it failed if I can still drive it (barely)???

I'm getting wierd I-key errors while driving too. I'm wondering if the remote start has started failing, since it has to bypass something to start it with no key?

PS the they want $4250 to replace it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey There, just curious about the part you ordered. I am currently having the exact same issue and trying to find the stepper motor aswell. It shows in your link that the 2008 Altima is not a match for this part. I Have a 2008 Altima 2.5s.

Thanks for your help, Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there thanks for taking over replies. My CVT is acting up as described here and I have the same error code P1778 in my 2008 2.5s Altima. I checked the part that was orignally recommended but it doesnt say that it is compatible to the 2008.

Considering junking the Car :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure if Benzolorenzo1 active anymore, but I'll take a stab at some of the comments, as I've been immersed in this for the past couple months.

The stepper motor is tied to a ratio control valve on top of the valve body. In my case, I got code P1778 and the car performed like it was stuck in a high gear. It can get stuck in any gear ratio. I replaced the valve body myself (which includes a new stepper motor) and got past that particular issue (although I had other issues). The ratio control valve was stuck on mine, so it didn't allow the stepper motor to move and do what it needed to do (change the ratio in order to "shift gears").

If your car is stuck in that one ratio and isn't just sometimes getting stuck, then my best guess at solutions are:

A) Take the valve body off and see if it is the motor or the ratio control valve next to it. The valve is spring loaded. If you are able to push the rod for that valve in and have it spring back, then my guess would be that it is the stepper motor and you could just buy that and replace it.

B) If it is the ratio control valve, then I suppose there is a chance you could disassemble it and see if you could get it to move freely. I couldn't find the parts online to replace the parts for the ratio control valve, but if anyone knows of a source, I'd like to have that.

C) You can buy a whole different valve body, which includes the stepper motor and ratio control valve. The reason I did this is because I figured a car with 120K miles probably could benefit from a remanufactured valve body, where the solenoids and other valves had been cleaned and tested and replaced with other parts that were operating at spec.
What did you pay for the valve body assembly and did you install it yourself? Is there any videos on R&R on a CVT Valve Body?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Benzolorenzo1,
This is very helpful. I think I need to replace the stepper motor on my 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s. A few days ago while driving noticed the car getting stuck in the lower gears. It was revving the RPMs. Then at one point it struggled to take off while at a stop light. I notice the check engine light on. Once I got home I left the car parked for few days, then this morning I went to start the car and all of the electrical would turn on and the car would try an start but then it would just give up after a few tries. It was weird, I put my foot on the brake, pressed the ignition, and it would try starting for a couple of seconds then stop. I plugged in the code machine and have the P1778 code. Any thoughts?
Hey There, just curious where you ended up on this? I am having the exact same issue right now and am on the fence on the attempt to replace the steppor motor or to junk the car?

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, great write up! I'm having an issue where it feels like my car doesn't "shift" I know CVTs don't have gears, but it feels like I can't get into anything past 1st or 2nd gear. I read the codes and I'm getting the P1778. is this the same issue you were getting?
What did you figure out on this. I'm having the same issue with mine. Not shifting past 2nd year.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts