The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not a lot of info on this so I hope this helps.

2013 Altima S. 2.5L 55000 miles. Check engine light came on, used the gas pedal technique to determine the error was p2097. After some research I found that it was bank 1 Air Fuel Sensor/Oxygen sensor.

Problem was, the air fuel sensor and O2 sensor are two very different things located in two different places on my car. It was unclear which was which up stream, or down stream (Pre Cat, Post Cat), so I was unsure of which one to change. and it also appears that there are 2 Air Fuel sensors... which one to change???

I went to local Nissan Dealer to order the part(s). The Air Fuel Sensor (the one Pre Cat) cost $238 and the 02 sensor (post Cat) cost $246. the guy said I could find them aftermarket. bought the 02 sensor at O'reilly for $86, but was unable to locate the Air Fuel Sensor, had to pay full price for it at Nissan.

The 02 sensor (post Cat) OEM Part #22690 is located under the car. you will find it plugged into the exhaust pipe between the Cat converter and fork for the duel exhaust. using a 7/8 inch O2 socket, it took 10 min to change. (easy)

The Air Fuel Sensor(s) OEM part # 22693(a) is located in the engine bank at the front of the engine (behind the front bumper) and one is behind the engine, fire wall side. I changed the front one. You will have to remove the air intake (2 screws) and the aluminum heat shield (4 bolts) for easy access. Using the 7/8 inch O2 socket it took about 15 min to change.

I also changed the Air filter $28

I reset the computer using the gas pedal method. its been about 3 days, the check engine light is still off... hope it stays off.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't worry , the check engine light will return.

You could have gotten this covered under the 8/80 warranty as the ECM needs reprogramming along with the component replacement (A/F Ratio sensor Bank 1).

Since you have replaced the OEM components with an aftermarket parts and cleared the code , that action removed any warranty you might have had for that repair.

So much for reading the warranty booklet that came with you car , if you had this would have been covered at no cost to you.

Good Job !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
that would have been good info to know... the kind folks at the dealer failed to mention that... who takes time to read the warranty book?

so now that you've made me feel like a dumbass...couple of quick questions if I may...

1) why would the light come back on if the parts have been replaced?

2) by me using an OEM, Nissan Part (A/F sensor) does that void warranty? Just the O2 sensor was aftermarket.

3) once the light comes back on, can't I just throw the old O2 sensor back on and take it in to have the ECM reprogrammed?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
also.. if you will... for the other shade tree mechanics, or folks who have bad experiences at their local Nissan dealer and would rather not deal with them and try to fix the problems themselves...

1) did I at least change the correct parts, O2 sensor and A/F ratio sensor (one in the front) ... or could I have gotten away with changing just one or the other.

2) in order to reprogram the ECM, is this something my local mechanic can do or does it have to be done at a Nissan service center.

Its not about saving $$, I grew up working on cars with my grandpa and dad. now that I have a son, I enjoy trying to teach him how to work on cars too, a much needed skill. Now days, with all the electronics in cars, the shade tree mechanic has been reduced to pretty much changing the oil and brake pads..... no more rebuilding carbs and changing head gaskets.

speaking of brakes (and why I despise my local dealer)... whats up with the God Awful screaming noise coming from my front brakes. the dealer has tried to fix it several times..(lasts a day, then right back to screaming). I've changed pads, rotors, tried shims, grease... nothing works... I've read that others have the same problem. Do I need to change the calipers too?

Any info you can provide is much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts