The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my dealer after noticing "cloudiness" in the clear coat of the paint that is not coming off. It appears that Nissan knows about this? According to the dealer, they had another silver car with the same problem. They say that the car was clear coated while the paint wasnt dry and left spots underneath. Their solution?? Heat gun over the paint to dry off the spotiness. Thats the first step. If that doesnt work then they will do something else about it. Has anyone else with a silver car out there closely looked at their paint in the sun and see anything?? This is terrible for a new car to have after 1 month. I will keep all posted on this when I drop my car off to get "heat gunned'

G

·
I don't know if this helps but I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out that I used a polymer to polish the car (the same stuff that the dealers use when they deliver a car). I made the mistake of putting on a wax on top of it. From what I found out, the wax will make the car cloudy in areas where you don't rub off all the wax. As I said, this might not be the problem but keep it in the back of your mind that perhaps the dealer is wrong.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't know if this is the same 'cloudiness', but water based paints will do the same thing as your describing. I had it happen on my '98 Red Neon. Had a thunderstorm hit right over the car while I had the bra on it. Went out immediately after the rain stopped to take off the nose mask. Bam!, right on top of the hood, a little 3" circle of clouds. Heat gun got rid of most of it, but a hint of it remained.

Back then the guys on the neon forum discussed just what 'pcsgrp' had happen to him. They explained to leave a heap of unrubbed wax anywhere the bra would touch the painted surfaces as to not cloud it when in extreme wet and humid conditions.

Good luck in getting your paint back to your liking.

~trippn

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gave my silver 2.5 its first wax with Meguire's Gold Class last week and didn't notice any cloudiness. I'll keep an eye out for it though. Keep us posted.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,615 Posts
NONE ON MINE, but I did notice there is a ruff feeling spot on the bottom passanger's door. It is about the size of 6 inches long and 3-5 inches wide. I thought I would buy some clay bar and see if that will take it out... I don't know if the dealer can do anything about it. But apparently there was some kind of defect in the paint on that place.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
23,056 Posts
Paint defect

02silver2.5l said:
NONE ON MINE, but I did notice there is a ruff feeling spot on the bottom passanger's door. It is about the size of 6 inches long and 3-5 inches wide. I thought I would buy some clay bar and see if that will take it out... I don't know if the dealer can do anything about it. But apparently there was some kind of defect in the paint on that place.
If you are not able to clay it out, dealer should fix it for you if it is indeed a paint problem

·
Registered
363 Posts
No Problem on the Paint

Wild Willy- better keep it down over there buddy....

I am in the no clouds club with my 2.5, month 2 and counting, however there is some orange peel in the clear on the right quarter near the bottom by wheel opening, no biggie.

I am currently researching best solution for your problem, my Dad runs a body shop so I am running this page by him for his suggestions but remember... factory paint is always inferior to paint work done by a qualified bodyshop.

I will get back to you all.

~J

·
Kingpin
678 Posts
Haven't noticed any paint cloudiness in my silver and I've put paint sealant on her 4 times already.

Only complaint is the paint on the front chips too easy!:angry4: :angry2:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I haven't noticed any abnormalities either. I am going to wash/wax my car either tomorrow or Sat. For the people that are having the problem: What month was your car manufactured? Mine was manufactured in 1/02. I will definately keep an eye out for problems when I give my car a bath this wknd.

g

·
Man with Car
776 Posts
Re: Clouds

wild willy said:
No clouds on my silver pony, but she got some runs!
Really? I think you mentioned this earlier. Where've you got runners? That's *totally* unacceptable for even a Kia. I don't have any paint problems with my Polished Pewter, but I have noticed the same slightly wavy panels on the passenger-side door skins you talked about. Even though I know they're a result of problems with the dies, I make myself feel better by claiming the skins were hand-beaten by retired E-Type craftsmen in Wales.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
23,056 Posts
jk -runs

I have a few on the door edges, one on the front rt fender that hung down that i actually busted off with my fingers, then retouched the hole even with the rest of the paint. Bullshit...don't cha think

·
Man with Car
776 Posts
Re: jk -runs

wild willy said:
Bullshit...don't cha think
Yes I do. You may hold the World Record for owning the Altima with the most initial defects. If J.D. Powers contacts you, your numbers will bring Nissan into the toilet.

Jarrod

PS - Are your wavy panels on both sides? My car's only half hand-beaten; they stamped the driver's side.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
23,056 Posts
jk

Yes, both sides. I think the driver side is a little worse. I came out of the office today and was walking up on my car and thought I spotted a ding.....which would be impossibe at this point in time with my parking places............but, much to my dismay, it was only Nissan quality waving hello to me on the road!

·
Senior Code Monkey
964 Posts
Re: No Problem on the Paint

Oasis said:

I am in the no clouds club with my 2.5, month 2 and counting, however there is some orange peel in the clear on the right quarter near the bottom by wheel opening, no biggie.

~J
No biggie?!? You probably just ran over someone eating an orange! :D

Joe :)

·
Kingpin
678 Posts
guiseppewv said:
I haven't noticed any abnormalities either. I am going to wash/wax my car either tomorrow or Sat. For the people that are having the problem: What month was your car manufactured? Mine was manufactured in 1/02. I will definately keep an eye out for problems when I give my car a bath this wknd.

g
My born on date is 10/01 and was bought the same month, but no problems with blemisses

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK Im bringing it in the shop tomorrow. They told me that it would take the entire day and it would be done by the end of the day. Nice to know you can spend 24g's on a car and have a paint job of Helen Keller Auto body. Its sad because the car is really good. If it wasnt for the cheap lookin door panels and the grease spots on the front windows, it would be perfect. Anyway, my fear is that this will not cure the problem. What then??? Repaint the car?? Believe me, I am bringing a magnifying glass when I go pick it up. Thanks for the info guys. I will keep you posted with what happens.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.