The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
812-317
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it's possible to paint carbon fiber? I'm debating ordering a CF hood and having it painted, since my stock one got screwed up and I've heard these things are nigh indestructible. That, and a black CF hood would look like crap on my beige pearl car.

·
JDM NCP31 & CZ4A
6,528 Posts
they are not "highly indestructible"...they're just highly flexible (ie movies of ppl jumpin on them)...if u get in2 an accident...it'll get destroyed like a standard hood would. (given if it flexed to the point of cracking the resin)...the thing is that the hood is "strong for it's weight"...of course u can paint over the CF hood. but i don't see the point of spending the money on the paint...but if ur one of those that got talked in2 anti-rice/sleeper thing...well...go and paint it...

·
It's almost over now!!
3,660 Posts
yes you can paint it...I would personally never cover carbon weave, but others will say differently.

plus, is your car stock? or do you plan on tuning anymore of hte body? if not, then I would paint it.

·
812-317
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the moment, it's stock. And for the record, I'm not anti-rice. Just anti-making my car look like crap. And I'm probably not going to do much to the body... The only kit that really catches my eye is the R34, but supposedly it's a real bitch to install, and I could better spend my cash on stuff like a rear disc conversion and a catback and stuff like that. You know, stuff that makes the car ACTUALLY fast, instead of just LOOK fast :) Not that I have anything against guys with kits either. If I had the cash, I'd do it all. I just prefer to lull people into a false sense of security before I destroy them :p

·
8,112 Posts
bushdog said:
I would personally never cover carbon weave
AMEN! Painting anything CF that you wont be able to see the weave anymore is just a waste of paint and CF.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i agree with monkeybiz .. i HATE the look of carbon fiber.. it's so tacky no offense to everyone that has it.. but it just doen't appeal to me... if i were you monkey i wouldn't get a carbon fiber hood at all. .i'd just get a new one and put vent ports in it or something.. but amen on the carbon hating!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
701 Posts
vent ports??? Oh...you must be running some big turbo to be putting out so much heat.

·
the newb
3,910 Posts
wth...paint the weave? how would you go about doing that...last i checked carbon fiber is ALL weaves :X

·
No Way is The Way -B. Lee
1,079 Posts
WarX said:
wth...paint the weave? how would you go about doing that...last i checked carbon fiber is ALL weaves :X
he means get someone to paint the carbon fiber before they weave it, so it will have the weave look but your car color, vis racing sells custom silver ones last time i saw the f/s section

·
the newb
3,910 Posts
ahh, yeah, i've seen blue/red/black/silver CF hoods lol, i thought he meant AFTER it was shipped out and weaved and stuff to paint it... ;x sorry for the misunderstanding =P

·
JDM NCP31 & CZ4A
6,528 Posts
for the record...the "weaves are not painted"...the color carbon is call CARBON KEVLAR...and it's stronger then carbon fiber, and is available in Blue/Red/Yellow and a couple of other. Kevlar is hella expensive and hella hard to work with (once resin, it's bullet proof). hence the use of carbon kevlar in bullet proof vests...

there's another way of "painting" carbon fiber...that's to shoot it w/ pearl or "candy" color paint...in about 1 or 2 layer TOPS. that way from a far, u don't see the CF...unless ur upclose then u see the CF weave under it...but that means the car has to be in that same pearl/candy color (i kno this cuz i was lookin to do it, but ma color has nothign close, and i'm not about to repaint my damn car for a stupid hood)...but yea...there's so many things u can do..it's just the fact do u wanna fork the 4 figures to get it done :D

·
Banned
413 Posts
Why would you want to paint over CF? Just get a stock hood and paint it your body color, no need to pay more money for CF if your just gonna paint over it, dont cut vents in the new hood it will just look ricey.

·
812-317
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The way I see it, there are certain cars and certain colors that look good with CF hoods. White, Blue, Red... Any sporty color is fine. However, for a goldish like mine, that's right out. And the only time you should put vents in your hood is if a) You have a turbo and need to vent some heat, or b) it fits the rest of your motif (like, if you have the Z3 fenders and octane/omega kits from VIS). But yeah, I'm just going to get a stock hood and say **** it.

·
Banned
45 Posts
TPhelps155 said:
AMEN! Painting anything CF that you wont be able to see the weave anymore is just a waste of paint and CF.
:lol: thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life.

some people use cf because it's lighter, not because they want to look like they have cf. the only way i would ever put a cf exterior part on my car would be if it was painted body color.

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
^ yup, id want to get a cf hood but it would have 2 be the same color as the rest of my car

·
8,112 Posts
MonkeyBizIU1859 said:
there are certain cars and certain colors that look good with CF hoods. White, Blue, Red... Any sporty color is fine. However, for a goldish like mine, that's right out.
I think it looks great on a goldish color car.

What's up with everyone hating on everything. CF, aftermarket steering wheels and whatever ppl do to there car's now. What happen to true tuning? :rolleyes: No wonder things arnt made for our car's.

·
DIY'er
6,658 Posts
people naturally hate on things that are too commonly used or played out. For myself if I were to purchase a cf hood I would also like to paint it, It would be protected from the sun and you wouldn't get spots, plus, painting it just goes more naturally with the car, not everyone likes two tone. And as mentioned before, I am a fan of its nature, the fact that the material is hard and light is why i'm interested in it, not necessarily because of the look. So sure some people are hating, but people can do whatever the hell they want with their money.. correct? I for one would paint it, my opinion is.. do whatever the hell you want, best wishes and I hope it turns out good

1 - 20 of 24 Posts