The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle coming from the parking brake handle on my 2002 2.5SL. The handle has a good bit of play (1 mm?) when you move it side-to-side and normal road vibration makes the spring inside rattle. Extremely annoying!

I tried to get to the handle mounting hardware next to the console cup holders to see if I could tighten it, but I couldn't figure out to get the console off.

Anyone else have this problem and how do I solve it?

·
CVLTIMA
208 Posts
iI have the exact same problem. I took it to the dealer and of course it was a waste of time. They can't do anything about it even after I went on a road test with the mechanic. I am still looking for some kind of resolution also. I think the only option maybe is to get an aftermarket one and get it installed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
thought i had the same problem.
did some digging and mine was actually the armrest.
try this:
pop the armrest into the UP position (where the top is still closed, but more elevated than the down position)
drive around (without touching the arm rest)
no noise, then its probably the arm rest.

put the armrest back into the down position.
turn the car off.
see if the arm rest top will shift slightly to the left and right.
my noise is actually coming from the latch that holds the armrest into the down position.

just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Greg.

In my case, it's definitely the brake lever, because if I drive around with my right hand on the lever, or worse yet, with my thumb depressing the brake lever release button, the rattle goes away. Not practical solutions.

It's the spring inside that makes the rattling noise, but the whole handle wobbles side-to-side slightly. I think if I could tighten it, it would stop rattling. As I mentioned above, I tried to get to it in the console, but console removal is not easy or intuitive.

I'd try to stuff something inside the handle to dampen the spring movement, but there are no openings to fit anything inside.

So I guess I'll try the dealer while the car's still under warranty.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have the same problem on my SE but the play in the lever is more like 1/4" side to side. I went to the dealer and they pulled another new alti around and showed me that it did the exact same thing. Any other alti that I tested did it as well, just cheap engiineering and cost saving like the rest of the interior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are right.

Some good news, maybe: I replaced my tires a week ago (Michelins replacing the stock Continentals). I haven't noticed the brake handle rattle since. My guess is that the road vibration is dampened by the new tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts