The Nissan Club banner

Does your 2002 Altima's security upgrade auto-lock the doors passively?

• I do not have a 2002 Altima.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I do not have a passive security upgrade.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I have a passive upgrade and it doesn't lock the doors.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I have a passive upgrade and it locks the doors during the passive arming cycle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Altima SE purchased from Smithtown Nissan in New York. So far they have been helpful and the whole experience has been good except for problems with the aftermarket security upgrade installed by Smithtown Nissan:

I purchased a dealer installed securiyu system upgrade to enable passive alarm functions as well as remote starter. The dealer's installer used an Audiovox alarm. The keychain remotes I was given seem to be the original Nissan remotes (this isn't a problem either way, just supplying the detail).

Two service visits later and we still have three unresolved issues:

1) The alarms arm if the master door locks (on the front doors) are used to lock the doors. This happens only when the key is out of the ignition. Its stupid, however as the driver (yours truly) or the front passenger might tend to accidentally "lock" the doors before realizing to rock the master lock switch the other way to unlock the doors. This causes the alarm to arm, and once the door is opened, it sounds the siren. I have been told that there is no way to fix this nor is there an alternative way to wire this and it is working as an Audiovox should.

2) When the passive alarm cycle arms the alarm (as opposed to when the alarm is manually armed via the keychain remote) it fails to lock the doors. This means that while the driver (again, yours truly) is juggling infant, daycare supplies, briefcase, etc... I must also manually lock the doors using the keychain remote thus negating much of the convenience of a passive security system. I was told that the alarm technician has spent a good deal of time on the phone with Nissan and this can't be fixed due to some sort of "matrix" lock-switch used in the 2002 modle- previous modles didn't have this issue. My eyebrow is raised about this.

3) For protection- especially since I commute with an infant- I would prefer if the doors locked once the car is put into gear- as did all my previous vehicles with alarms (Nissan and other vehicles alike). Again, I am told that this is no longer done as it poses a safety concern. Since I keep my valet key in my walet for emergencies, I see the safty concern negated. In fact, you deserve to lock your keys in the car if you exit the vehicle while it's in gear.

My wife's 2001 Sentra SE was purchased from another dealer. It came with a Checkmate alarm and checkmate remotes. It doesn't suffer from these issues.

Questions: Do any of you have aftermarket security upgrades providing passive arming on 2002 Altimas? Do the above issues occur with your system? If not, what type of system do you have? Any advise would be welcome.

I spoke to their sales management. I explained that if this is possible and they can't fix it, I want them to refund this alarm and I will have it installed professionally elsewhere.

Thanks, in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts