The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the pcv valve replacement is a girangugan effort.

So...should I refresh it?
  • Burning 1 qt of oil every oil change (3000 miles)
  • During last emission test (2 years ago), Altima barely passed. Another test is coming up. Will a fresh PCV possibly improve emission results?

:smile

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well the forum is pretty slow going...so let me contribute something...for posterity sake.

I changed PCV out this weekend. The old valve was still working properly...but I'm glad to have replaced it...peace of mind is priceless. Because faulty PCV can cause engine slush and corrosion inside the engine.

It's not nearly as horror show as some people make it out to be...even with my newbie wrenchin' experience.

PROCEDURE:

Unbolt and remove the P/S pump medium-easy
  • I removed it completely and rebuilt the pump on the bench because it's been leaking alot.
  • There are only 2 bolts holding the P/S pump to the bracket mount:
  • (a) The top bolt is facing the frame of the car...I used a very small 1/4 socket to remove it...pretty easy if you have the right tool.
  • (b) The bottom bolt is very long and can be loosened easy enough, but when you try to pull it out, the sheet metal on the body is blocking it. My solution is to just cut about 1/2-inch of the sheet metal off with a Dremel...and the bolt comes out easy.
  • I imagin you don't have to remove the P/S pump...can probably just push it out of the way.

Remove oil filter and base...easy

Remove the large metal brace...easy

Unbolt the breather separator thingy (3 small bolts)...2 on top and 1 on bottom...easy too, but had to use small 1/4 sockets.

Disconnect the rubber hose from PCV...easy

Remove breather separator and PCV and unbolt PCV...easy

I've been wanting to do this service since 50,000 miles ago, but was too scared to tackle it...LOL.

After removing the P/S pump, oil filter, and brace, there was a lot of room to work on.
Should have done it long ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts