The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does the 2.5 altima have a PCV valve. I can not find one. The dealer told me no, but i have found some places online that list them, a part number (different from 1-2gen altimas) and sell them (13 bucks damn)

Does anyone know, are they internal?

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not all cars have them. it is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation, all cars have a system of this, but not all have little replaceable valves. But I have found some on the internet, but cant find it in the engine.
And it would be coming off the Valve cover with a hose running back into the intake, not off the intake itself. A breather runs clean air from the intake to the valve cover.

Anyone from Nissan know for sure? Anyone have engine diagrams?

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
No it doesn't run clean air from the intake to the valve cover..the intake creates a vacuum that sucking hot gases from the engine back into the intake re-circulating escaped combustions that got past the rings. Thats why the crankcase builds up pressure that needs to be either relieved with a breather or sucked out with vacuum or it blows seals if this pressure isn't allowed to come out some how.

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes^ i know, so the pcv valve is on the valve cover, and has a hose going back to the intake. The valve has a spring in them so when the pressure builds up, it forces the gases out, overcoming the force of the spring, And the spring gets worn out over time.

Anyways, i found the anwser. No they dont have them. the valve overlap takes care of the crankcase gases. so there is no need to send them back around again

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
nissan2k2 said:
so the pcv valve is on the valve cover, and has a hose going back to the intake. The valve has a spring in them so when the pressure builds up, it forces the gases out, overcoming the force of the spring, And the spring gets worn out over time.

Not sure if yours is on the valve cover...most PVC valves I've seen are a oneway check valves using a metal ball. Sometimes they get a gunk up with oil and stick open or if the car sits along time gets stuck shut. I'm not familiar with the spring type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts