The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this info was posted in the past. I just found it and I was pleased to see the the performance numbers of the 2.5's
(especially the slush box). WOW, this car REALLY is as fast as most American 6 cylinders. Consumer Report posted much slower
numbers (9.0 to 60 MPH and 17.5 in the 1/4). Time to pull the Gtech pro out of the 300zx and do some of my own testing ;0)
What are your opinions on these test result ? Do you think these numbers are accurate ?

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Heraud/Nissan/Altima/2002S.asp

·
Registered
308 Posts
Their 3.5 numbers SUCK royally ... I don't know how the auto is, but I'm sure that all that torque has GOT to give more than a .2 sec margin to 60 over the 4 cyl. Also, I know my car 3.5 M/T is quicker than that, PLUS, the top end of the 3.5 manual is more than 137. (not that I would know by actually going that fast .... :D

the 2.5 numbers look really good for a 4, right around what my Contour 2.5 V6 had.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, after a day spent in wife's 2.5S in both highway and city traffic I can personally attest that the 2.5l engine in the '02 altima is more than up to any challenge I could throw at it. Getting into 30-45mph dense cross-street traffic from a dead stop was a thrill and the car easily got up to speed to not annoy oncoming drivers. The car also kept at a steady 75mph (cruise controlled) in extremely cross-wind, tail and head-wind conditions on 40 mile jaunts both east and west across kansas flint-hills. MPG averaged 32 when the wind was mostly behind us, but 25ish when we headed into the wind. The auto transmission found a need to downshift to third on a few long steep uphill climbs into the wind, and ran at 4000rpm when in 3rd at 75mph.

Conclusion? The 2.5 and it's gearing is perfect for any in-town driving I could imagine. But it shows where a stronger engine would be nice on the highway in strong headwinds. Or perhaps a little refinement of aerodynamics would solve that problem. I noted when first comparing car stats that the '02 has a .32 C.of Drag compared to the '02 camry's .28 (best of all cars in the class). The cars don't outwardly appear much different in streamlining, but the Camry gets better wind-tunnel results.

Do I wish I'd gotten the V6? Nope. Do I wish I'd gotten a Camry? No way in hell. Camrys are boring! ;)

OpalBlue

·
Registered
10 Posts
2.5S , 5 Speed

While I have the attention of 2.5 / manual trany owners I'd like to know if any of you have a problem with the transaxle sounding like it's going to fallout when you speed shift 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. I get severe axle hop and loud noises. I posted this problem earlier in Febuary and got no feedback. Dealer knows about my problem and Nissan Canada is looking into it>

Thanks for your time again :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.