The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda a multi-part thread. I'm a 2.5 S owner... I know all you 3.5s out there want to give me grief... but I at least _did_ get the 5 speed. And I ain't gonna feel too terrible as I get 28 MPG in the CITY! :)

BUT.... My first question is... what are the true, fundamental advantages to replacing the springs? Is it entirely cosmetic? Or are there enhanced advantages?

For those who have changed the springs... have you had any problems? Tire rubbing? What about front rock chips? If the nose is angled more to the ground (as opposed to the stock setup)... does it get beaten up more by those pesky rocks?

And finally... and this may be for the 2.5S owners more so... but... what modifications are recommended for suspension/tire and wheels? I've got the standard 16 steels w/ hubs. I don't want my car to be 2 in from the ground... but i would like to lessen the gap in the front.

Thanks for imputs, guys...

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
Obviously, if you put lowering springs on the car, it will be lower to the ground. As far as I know, there is no real way to rid the wheel gap without lowering the whole car a few inches. The lowering springs will be stiffer, so the car will handle a little better. You can even get a rear sway bar to improve handling even more.

One think you might want to wait for though, JIC is putting out adjustable coil-overs for our car soon, they look really slick and will also allow you to lower the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
your first question about the springs, IMO, it is cosmetic by getting rid of gay ass wheel gap, also the car handles better.
I have the sport line eibachs, I have never rubbed or scraped.
If your worried about messing up your front bumper just get a bra. I am very happy with with the eibach sportlines.
:D

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts
Generally, it's a personal decision.

Pros: Less wheel gap, possible better handling of car, lower center of gravity, etc.

However, on the flip side of the coin, there's many things to considered before lowering a vehicle.

It may creates more "negative camber".
"Toe Angle" may occur. (Usually toe in).

Lowered vehicle may have issue with reduced clearance on certain type of roads / speed bumps.

So be sure to have someone professional adjust it...or get an alignment check afterwards.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone have the correct shock absorbers out for a lowered altima yet....

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Obviously lowering your car will produce significant changes in the way the car look, feel and drive. Lowering your car will give it better handling and rid of that big ass wheel gap up front. But lowering your car also has some drawbacks. Here they are!

$$$$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$ Alignment comes to mind when lowering your car since the toe and camber will be out of whack. No biggie, you can get an alignment done and possibly get a camber kit for the front to bring it back to stock. The rear can be at the threshold of being out of whack but rotating the tires will yield the best results in terms of tire wear. Ground clearance will change and with a full load of peeps or groceries in your ride, It will even make it lower which will inhibit you to go over speed bumps, dips, steep driveways. That big ass exhaust resonator will eventually take most of the beating since it sits lower. Solutions to this is to not overload your ride and replacing that stock exhaust resonator would probably be a good choice. I completely removed mine and going over speed bumps is no longer an issue. Nissan can void your warranty and a big hassle which is another consideration to leave everything stock till the warranty expired. Your suspension components like your bushing, shocks etc will wear prematurely. Still waiting for aftermarket shocks and possibly going to upgrade all the bushings as well is another consideration. $$$$$$$$$$$ You guess it, prepare to spend more $$$$$$$.

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
bull

lowering your car especially with a linear rate spring (sportline) will tremendously improve handling. but as has been stated, you will need to upgrade various parts to support the added stress you are putting on your car.

--Most importantly shocks
--bushings
--tires (if your tires slide easily, what good is having better handling?)
--alignment (in my opinion jsut as important as shocks) but with rotating tires often enough (I do mine every 5k) you will minimize the ill effects of poor alignment.

--------a slight (less than 1 degree outside of spec) negative camber will actually help your handling, especially in the rear where the car is light.

now as far as the prokit goes, they are a variable rate spring, which is good for ride and good for handling, but is not as "racefeely" as the sportlines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts