The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peterson or anyone else who has replaced their gauge lights, how hard is it to take the gauges out to replace them? And can I change the lights behind the AC buttons or are those the LEDs you were telling me about? How many do I need 6?

·
22,052 Posts
The gauge lights are easy...you just need to pull the cluster out. I'll help you if you want. You need 4 or 6 wege bulbs...I can't remember right now. Get the PIAA wedge bulbs. The color is MUCH better, and they won't fade in a cvouple weeks like other crappy bulbs will.

The a/c lights are LEDs, and aren't as easy. You'll have to solder the old ones out and re-solder new ones in. I can help you do that if you want as well, but I bought an extra a/c unit ofEbay for like $13 just in case...I had to do a little meesing around to get everything in place, and the LED in the temp slider was the one I had to get from some wierd ass company...But I have 2 more, they sent me 3.

·
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I'm gonna try to do the Gauge lights this weekend. I should be able to figure those out. I may need your help with the AC ones, but we can do that anytime. I just want my gauge lights to match my new head unit.

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
324 Posts
djsassan said:
Its 4 bulbs.
Thats strange becuase in my 1st gen there were 6 bulbs needed to replace all the lights.

·
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is only 4 bulbs, but, they aren't 194's I pulled the instrument cluster out and took the fucker apart just to find out it's some small ass bulb I've never seen before. It looks like a 194 but only about half the size of it. So all in all I wasted about 35 bucks on PIAA bulbs and an hour of ripping my car apart. Now I just need to figure out if anyone makes a blue aftermarket bulb that small.

·
Registered
969 Posts
i JUST changed my color again this weekend...

it is 194 wedges.. (the plugs are a brownish color - there's only 4 of them)...

the other small ass bulbs are for the dummy driver indicators...

it's cake... just do it

·
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what year is your car? Mines a 2001 and I swear, I pulled out EVERY SINGLE bulb and they were all small as shit.

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
324 Posts
Peterson said:
I thikn it's 6 if yoiu change the low fuel light and the battery light. I think only 4 do the actual gauge colors.
I had to use 6 bulbs to change ALL my gauges. Thats 2 for the speedo, 2 for the tach, 1 for the temp, and 1 for the gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can someone explain how you guys are changing the colors? I'm new to the Altima :). Are you just changing the factory bulbs (what color are they?) to new clear bulbs? Or are you buying colored bulbs? I'd like to change it all to an amber look...

·
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there is most definetly a difference. In the 2001 Altimas they use a wedge bulb that is identical to a 194 except about half the size. I took it all out again just to make sure I wasn't tripping, and they are different. I've never seen a bulb as small as the ones they used so I'm doubting there are any aftermarket colored ones to replace it. F' Nissan for that move!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I had the fancy color gauge faces that ended in a few broken wires that limits me in changing the color and brightness. :bawl: So I figured I would trying going with a clean, basic look of just changing the bulbs and taking the other faces out and stick with stock. So, which finally leads me to my question... What size bulbs do I need to do this swap in a 96? This thread was never really clear. I need 4 bulbs at a size of the 194 style and whatever color I choose, right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts