The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the windows tinted on my Polished Pewter Altima for nearly four months now -- it's a metallic 3M film with a lifetime warranty -- but sadly I'm just getting around to posting a photo for those interested. Seems like there've been a few requests for pictures of tinted cars recently.

Cheers,

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had heard that 3M did not make a "metallic" tint. Can you give me more specific info on what "model line" of the 3m tint that you have? Is that lifetime warranty on color change or just adhesives?

I know metallics are not supposed to have an issue with color change, but I was told from a fairly reputable source (I thought) that 3m didn't have metallic tint and that their warranty was only on adhesive only due to fade that dyed tints are prone to.

Very interested if you can give me a product name, as this window tint issue is one I am currently trying to resolve.

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max, your question regarding the 3M tint sent me out to the garage to dig through the glovebox for an answer.

The short answer is I'm very possibly confused. The tint I show on the receipt from Alta Mere Window Tint is "SolarGenics Semi-metallic," with a lifetime warranty against delamination and color change. Nowhere do I see 3M. I may have the tint on my wife's car mixed up with what's on mine, unless 3M makes the SolarGenics tint. I checked 3M's website and found no reference to it, and an impromptu Google search brought up several sites that mentioned SolarGenics film but not the manufacturer.

As for the other questions: It's 28 percent all around (the legal limit in Texas), and I've never had any problem with radio reception in the car. (I think I got lucky with the coil packs.) As you can see from the photo, the film has a faint silvery tint to it that's especially evident in direct sunlight. With a silver or gray car, I think it looks outstanding. I'm not so sure about earth tones.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Jarrod

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the photo Post!

It looks great. The pewter looks great. I am amazed at how it either looks grey or brown depending on the lighting.
The tint does look sweet.

I don't see any scorch marks on the hood, so you must not be running a 185 shot NOS system! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
"SolarGenics Semi-metallic"

Any ideas on if this would reduce the sensitivity of a radar detector from behind and leave you uncovered? It looks great but if it reduces the effective range of my Passport, I'm really not interested.

Regards
Pete

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Thanks for the photo Post!

k-hill said:
I am amazed at how [Polished Pewter] either looks grey or brown depending on the lighting.
Yeah, I'm really glad I got the color. It was my third color choice, too, behind silver and that pearlescent white. It sure is a snap to keep clean and it just looks *so* classy. (I am biased, naturally.)
I don't see any scorch marks on the hood, so you must not be running a 185 shot NOS system! :D
No, I'll be staying away from NOS, thank you. Poor Hee.

However, I saw a magnetic fuel "diffuser" on an infomercial the other day that claimed to increase power and mileage by 20 percent. What a deal! I'm in! :p

Jarrod

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
commonguy001 said:

Any ideas on if [SolarGenics film] would reduce the sensitivity of a radar detector from behind and leave you uncovered?
I wish I could provide you with a direct anecdote, Pete, but I've had the radar detector boxed up for years. But based on the fact that my radio reception hasn't diminished at all that I can tell, I'm thinking that your detector range shouldn't be compromised either, at least on the standard X-, K- and Ka-bands.

I'm not sure about how semi-metallic tinting affects laser sensitivity, but with those types of guns, 99 percent of the time by the time you pick up a hit it's too late anyway. :eek:

Jarrod

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's some pictures of mine with a 35% on the rears and 45% on the front side windows. It's metallic film, and I have noticed a marked reduction in radio reception, especially AM (LA Traffic radio is indispensible). FM is wearker too, not that it was anything to write home about before the tint. At least compared to my previous cars.

·
Proud '02 owner
587 Posts
jkwright said:
I've had the windows tinted on my Polished Pewter Altima for nearly four months now -- it's a metallic 3M film with a lifetime warranty -- but sadly I'm just getting around to posting a photo for those interested. Seems like there've been a few requests for pictures of tinted cars recently.

Cheers,

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed
JK c'mon get a wing on that bad boy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.