The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago I noticed a burned plastic smell in my garage. At first I thought it was something in the garage itself, but when I smelled it again at a friend's house I knew it had to be coming from the altima. I checked under the hood, smell was not coming from there. So I checked under the car, where I saw the mess stuck to the exhaust pipe after the resonator, and before the muffler. I tried scraping it off with a knife last night, with little impact. Any ideas how I might get this crap off the pipe? Am I just going to have to deal with the smell till it melts away to nothing? It's mostly hardened now, so is there a chance it will catch fire?

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
When I used to write service people came in almost weekly complaining of a smell and it was a piece of plastic melted to the exhaust. We would to use a propane torch to melt/scrape and burn it off for them.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who knows, probably a plastic bag or something on the road. I don't remember driving over anything like that though.

·
Switched to a Maxima
200 Posts
that sucks but i have to agree with the other guys you will just have to wait it off and use something to netural the smell inside the car.

·
-The Entrepreneur-
1,546 Posts
i have the exact same problem.. and the bag was HUGE! when i looked under the car that thing was melting to a point were it look like the pipe was melting itself, its A LOT. i was gonna try and take some off but i been lagging it... :D and yes the smell is horrible! till today am still wondering how that thing got under my car, it was problably when my girl drove my car to her friend's house... :angry2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts