The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! So I have an 05 altima 3.5l with 130k miles That was driving BEAUTIFULLY until one day I hit a bump hard in the city then the car stalled. Took it to autozone and code p0340 came up. Replaced the bank 1 and bank 2 cam sensors with cheap chinese sensors (I know) and then had the same problem. Took it to a shitty mechanic, first tried to tell me the tranny was shot then advised I replace sensors with OEM NISSAN. I bought new genuine oem nissan sensors (bank 1 bank 2 and crankshaft) and had them all installed.. Now mechanic said there was a code for transmission speed sensor. Bought an oem Transmission Speed sensor, had him replace it and said he now thinks transmission is shot because car has little acceleration in drive and clunks in reverse.

This problem happened while I had the p0340 code and would sometimes go away after resetting the negative terminal, then reappear, which leads me to believe the transmission is not bad after all. Im pretty sure the car not accelerating with enough power or going over 2k RPMs is attributed to it being in limp mode, but what the hell do I know?

Any advice?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Sounds like the car is in limp mode. Now the question is why....is it ECU or TCU related... It's not throwing any codes or any weird warning lights other than the occasional P0340 and/or tranny speed?

Normally I'd suggest checking all your grounds, especially the end of the negative battery cable where it connects to the transmission housing and of course the ground point used by the tranny speed sensor for starters. See the PG section of the '05 FSM (see link in my .sig below for FSMs) for the harness locations and ground points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the car is in limp mode. Now the question is why....is it ECU or TCU related... It's not throwing any codes or any weird warning lights other than the occasional P0340 and/or tranny speed?

Normally I'd suggest checking all your grounds, especially the end of the negative battery cable where it connects to the transmission housing and of course the ground point used by the tranny speed sensor for starters. See the PG section of the '05 FSM (see link in my .sig below for FSMs) for the harness locations and ground points.
I appreciate the response, I spoke to him again last night and he said he's 95% sure of the tranny is shot because he smells burning automatic transmission fluid, it's still clunks in reverse, and there's super poor acceleration, which I personally think is because of limp mode so I'm with you there. Once the initial shity mechanic replugged in the cam sensors, the car drove normally for about an hour with no issues whatsoever, and then started acting up again, so again I just don't see the transmission burning out like that. I'm going to mention what you just told me to him and see what he says.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If no errors stored on ECU, it also could be the brake switch, very little chance of being this honestly, but if you press the brake a little bit it won't let you go past 2000 RPM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If no errors stored on ECU, it also could be the brake switch, very little chance of being this honestly, but if you press the brake a little bit it won't let you go past 2000 RPM
I will look into it but I don't think I was pressing the breaks abnormally

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
^^What he's saying is that if the brake switch is always on (regardless of the position of the pedal) because it broke internally...that would cause your issue.

A simple test would be to start the car and walk around the back...are your brake lights on? If so, that's a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^What he's saying is that if the brake switch is always on (regardless of the position of the pedal) because it broke internally...that would cause your issue.

A simple test would be to start the car and walk around the back...are your brake lights on? If so, that's a problem.
Ahh... nope thats definitely not the case. They only go on when i press the brakes. I personally think its an electrical issue. but again... what do i know?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does sound like something related to a physical problem with the wiring after the impact. My money is also on a loosened wiring ground/harness. I'd get an official Altima manual, find the wiring harness that has those replaced sensors, and check the grounds.

If you can't do that, I'd take it to another mechanic and describe the issue to them. Pay 'em a few $$ to get a proper diagnosis with the proper tools. If you must, go to the stealership and pay the $100+ to get it diagnosed (as a last resort).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does sound like something related to a physical problem with the wiring after the impact. My money is also on a loosened wiring ground/harness. I'd get an official Altima manual, find the wiring harness that has those replaced sensors, and check the grounds.

If you can't do that, I'd take it to another mechanic and describe the issue to them. Pay 'em a few $$ to get a proper diagnosis with the proper tools. If you must, go to the stealership and pay the $100+ to get it diagnosed (as a last resort).
2 things i dont trust in this world, banks and car dealerships. Only cause ive worked for both. But the stealership will definitely be a last resort. Thank you for making me feel like im not actually crazy for my theory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 things i dont trust in this world, banks and car dealerships. Only cause ive worked for both. But the stealership will definitely be a last resort. Thank you for making me feel like im not actually crazy for my theory.
I've had this problem; but it was years ago. I was driving back from somewhere and after going over a road hump the car went into limp mode. I parked it and switched off, left it for ten minutes and then it was OK. Not long after that though, it began failing in fourth gear; descending quite mild slopes it would change down to second quite often. I ended up getting a recon tranny for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got this symptom on my '06 SE V6, once for camshaft and then again for crankshaft sensor (2nd time I just went ahead and bought the remaining camshaft sensor), though replacing my sensors fixed my problem. Symptom of any of those 3 sensors is limp mode on the tranny (stays in 5th, slams into reverse).

I'd say get a better mechanic. You could have a bad tranny, sure, but if the mechanic can't get your check engine light off (most tranny problems won't trip it) then he can't say for sure. Also, if you have changed fluid before it would probably smell burnt.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the same issue with limp mode (most of us anyway). I just replaced the one sensor that was bad according to the code. I replaced the front sensor. Easy 2 min job.

This may be your issue. I had to replace it 3-4 times and all of them being Chinese knockoffs. Yes, ordered them thru rockauto. I finally gave up on the 4th try and it seems to have found its niche. Yes, I was very frustrated with the car at one point. Hope you get this thing fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try checking the crank shaft sensor. From what i gather, if it fails to given a signal within range the ECM will put the car in Limp mode. IN mind the plug was broken (wouldn't lock) which resulted in random hard starting. On the 2.5L 4 cyl, from the drivers side of the engine if you locate the rear motor mount, follow the motor mounts top rimm forward until you hit the sensor wires. If the sensor plug is off or loose, limp mode. Slide it back on until it clicks, and see if the issue persists. if it doesn't loudly click, replace the plug. $10 plug on ebay, 15 mins of splicing and its fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts