The Nissan Club banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,151 Posts
How do you mean 'didn't function at all'. After it powered up, were you able to see and/or change menus etc using the front buttons? Were you able to adjust volume (should display on screen)? Any sound? Even static?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Welcome screen came on then time, hit selection but you can’t search, change date and time and no sound! So basically power only!

·
6,151 Posts
I can't think of anything that would lock you out of selecting say an FM station. It is possible that if the BRAKE input was wrong (ie GND instead of +12V or vice versa) that it may lock you out of more complicated commands.

Do you have to 'turn the unit on'? I only ask because the OEM Nissan HU I have powers up with the clock, but you can't do much until the unit is switched on (even though it looks powered up because the clock is displayed).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nope the resisters connecting the two SWC didn’t work! Got the radio and camera working though and Bluetooth on the phone. Work fine, just won’t be able to accept calls while driving!

·
6,151 Posts
Cool. I expected more excitement :)

Why don't you try connecting just the steering switch panel side that has the 'Call End' and 'Vol +/-' buttons? You should be able to program those as Call pickup and Vol +/- and let the phone just hang up naturally when the other side disconnects? Or use the other side, keep Call Send, and either keep Seek+/- as is or use as Vol+/- and then your source button can be 'Hangup'.

Review the diagram on page AV-84. You will need to cut and splice wires at the Bluetooth unit (usually under the trunk deck) you need the two ends of the resistor ladder for the switch side you want to 'teach'....so either Pin13/14 or Pin 12/14 as they enter the bluetooth unit. Take those signals and splice them to Pin6/16 which go back to the radio harness. You will need a multimeter to verify which wires on the 32pin your signals are actually one (though the colour should hopefully stay the same!)

I don't know exactly how your unit works, but I would connect the common signal (Pin14) to ground, and the other wire, say Pin12 if you are going with the 4-button side, to the SWC input. Then train your radio on those buttons via the menu.

·
6,151 Posts
Did you make sure to remove the BT unit entirely from the wirepath from steering switches to your new unit?

If you have a multimeter, are you able to verify the resistance changes between say pins 6 and 16 at the 32p connector behind the radio when relevant buttons are pressed?

Before we try hooking the common wire to a power source, I'd like to verify the wiring is good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Checked the wires on the car side but just doesn’t work with the unit. But Bluetooth works great with it. All radio and phone functions from the SWC doesn’t work. It sucks cause there’s no automatic call volume adjustment, just turn it up to hear the call and go deaf once the call ends!

·
6,151 Posts
What was the result of your testing on the car side? Is there additional information that came with the radio regarding the connection and training of the steering switches?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I sent the SWC back and will get a new one when I can afford it. But everything else works, the radio and camera work great!

·
6,151 Posts
Congratulations! You should feel proud of your accomplishment. Oh, and tell your stepdad I said hello, and that any female limitations he sees are all in his head! :) Enjoy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The look on his face was priceless! He even asked my neighbor if he installed it for me and was shocked when he was told that Ben had watched me install it from camera to dash. I got an apology.....hehehe! I’ll pass on what you said verbatim.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts