The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you like more, supercharging or turbocharging?
I hear a lot of ppl talking about supercharging as opposed to turbocharging. Turbocharging is so much better (in my opinion). Supercharging is losing power to gain power, to the extreme.
Reasons why i think Turbos are better:
1) A lot more low rpm power, especially when switching gears after redlining
2) More HP :)
3) Gets rid of a lot of extra noise (for those with superloud exhausts)
4) Can get it spooling fast right b4 a race
5) No extra weight on the crank
Obviously sc has its up to like, nice flowing exhaust, fits better on some engines.
Just wanted to know ppls opinion :)

·
I don't care
4,185 Posts
Thom said:
That is exactly what turbos do not have. They have less low rpm power, but have the the ability to gain much more at high rpms.

Thom said:
2) More HP :)
Not always, but usually. Too many variables.

Thom said:
4) Can get it spooling fast right b4 a race
Again it sounds like you've never heard of turbo lag. A turbo isn't just something you can turn on. It requires exhaust gasses. A supercharger works off the crank, so when you you hit the gas you're getting boost.

There is only a turbo kit available for the 1st gen Altima. There are rumors about a supercharged Altima in Chicago, but I haven't seen it. There is also no room for a Supercharger, and I believe you'd have to lose the A/C to fit it in. I'd go with a turbo becuase I think the the price of fitting a supercharger wouldn't be worth the HP gains.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Re: Re: Poll: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Ben said:

There is also no room for a Supercharger, and I believe you'd have to lose the A/C to fit it in.
that'd be no problem for nissanfreak :)

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
I have to agree about supercharging being no good.
THat's why cars like THIS prefer turbos to launch hard! :rolleyes:

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
I'd prefer Supercharging, just for the more linear throttle response, rather than an exponential one, and for daily driving, superchargers are easier to live with... although Factory Turbos are usually pretty daily-commute-streetable too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where do you want your power is the question? low end vs top end. I would prefer to have a low end boost (with a super charger) rather than the high end, esspecially with my altima, it takes off around 2500. I guess if your working on your quater mile time turbo is a good route. but if your on the street the low power is where it's at! I just wish you could get shit for this car! I hate looking through SCC to find every thing is for a damn civic. It's the new Model T.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
kierandill said:
I have to agree about supercharging being no good.
THat's why cars like THIS prefer turbos to launch hard! :rolleyes:
I seriously hope your trying to come off sarcastic?

·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, i know what turbo lag is. Second Yes you get a small kick after switching gears, cuz the compression is still high cuz its spooling fast. I'll find a reference for you in a couple of books i have...

·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ps ben, if you rev the engine b4 the race it gets it spinning, cuz even though ur not moving, exhaust IS coming out.

·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can also get a turbo going as fast as you want (unless it'll blow your engine) by the veins in it or the AR ratio. I'm saying a turbo with a boost controller kicks hard ass :) And good berrings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thom said:

You kinda blew your credability with this but, I agree you still get a "kick" with changing gears, but you still don't have much off the start even if it is spooled up (torque).

·
Registered
4 Posts
for an altima, we only have 4 cylinders, and powering a supercharger would rob too much power from the engine.

turbo all the way

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
race_me said:
for an altima, we only have 4 cylinders, and powering a supercharger would rob too much power from the engine.

turbo all the way
What's wrong with Supercharged 4-bangers? Granted there aren't many out there, but what about these very excellent cars?

SLK 230 Kompressor? (195 stock, but can do 300+ with simple ECU swap, different Supercharger drive-pulley, and exhaust, without serious internal engine work).
Comptech Supercharged S2000?

·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya, i know but ben pisses me off >:' :) anyways I don't care much... im just haveing fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been looking everywhere for a turbo for my 1st gen ('97)...where can I find them?? And what would it end up running me (installation and unit and all)??

Damn...can't wait for response!

·
Registered
172 Posts
F-Max makes a turbo kit for the first gen. It will set you back about 4000. As far as the install, depends on whether you have any mechanically inclined friends. Otherwise, it should be round a G for the install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts