The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need Help with my 2001 gxe le altima. I have 5,300 miles on it. Since I bought this car I have had nothing but problems with it. My car idles real rough but no one can figure out what is wrong. My car has had poor gas mileage from the day I bought the car,but now it is eating gas like crazy. I can barely get 200 miles to a tank doing city driving. My gauge is on the line before the half way mark and I've only gone 50 miles.

Every time I go to the dealerships they can't do anything for me.
Please any suggestions.

Thanks

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
3,664 Posts
take it to a smaller shop that you trust....it could be the timing or something...make the oxygen sensor, plugs or wires???

I would take it to a small shop where they wont BS you (becuase the dont have to service your car for free)....small shops usually look at what is wrong for free...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
system_error_007 said:
I would take it to a small shop where they wont BS you (becuase the dont have to service your car for free)....small shops usually look at what is wrong for free...
Do you really think dealer service actually does warranty work for free?

·
Cheetah
124 Posts
kenshi said:
Do you really think dealer service actually does warranty work for free?
Why not, if you are covered by warranty? Otherwise, why you need warranty. The dealer will do it for free to you but will charge Nissan based on a pre-negociated rate.

To the original poster - Try to complain to the dealer and make sure they put something on file. If this last any longer and they can not fix the problem (and refuse to do more research), it is time to contact Nissan. This is the weird - It almost looks to me like you get an lemon. It does not provide you the MPG that is stated in the car spec. - Or, the reading sensor of your gas tank is defect. Either way, Nissan is responsable for fixing it, not you!

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
3,664 Posts
If something is under warranty, the dealership has to service it at their own expense right? So to save money and keep a service bay open for a paying customer, they will probably say nothing is wrong...

Now, if you take it to a small mechanic, regardless of your car being under warranty or not, they will want to find out what is wrong and fix it since they will charge you either way....smaller shops (where I go to say the least) look at the car to find out what is wrong for free...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've taken it to more then one nissan dealer. know one will help. I have more then just these problems with my car. I have had the car for 1 1/2 years, and I only have 5300 miles on it. I really hate this car. I wish someone would buy it . Any offers!!!

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
system_error_007 said:
If something is under warranty, the dealership has to service it at their own expense right?...
No. They charge Nissan corporate. They don't get the same $ as they would if they charged YOU, though...

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and refuse to accept it back until they fix it. Period. You have a warranty... make them stand by it. Investigate the lemon laws in your state. If you have documentation of all the problems - and how the dealership has not been able to fix them, you may be able to force them to buy the car back from you if they can't fix it. You'll just have to get tough with them - or they'll just continue to blow you off. I don't mean obnoxious/abusive either... take the high road, but be FIRM. Let them know the YOU KNOW the car is not right - and never has been - and that you're through putting up with it. Get a lawyer if necessary.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It could be your driving style. 200 miles with city only/traffic/stop and go/..... driving isn't all that bad. Toss in MTBE/MMT/ethanol or methanol, complements of oxygenated gas, and MPG suffers.

Plus with only 5300 miles, your engine isn't even broken in yet. Have you even had an oil change yet? Correct oil weight? Maintained by who?

Do the simple stuff like change your air filter, oil & filter, and see if that helps. Where I live, all it takes is one snow storm, and there is enough sand on the road to help clog that air filter which affects MPG/HP.

5300 miles on a 2001 isn't being driven enough. Your fuel is almost always stale. You should use a fuel additive with every tank. Your injector are probably gummed up. You probably have excessive moisture in the tank. Get a professional fuel injector cleaning. Use drygas(Isoprop type). Use quality FI cleaners regularly. Use stabil fuel additive if not filling car up at least every week. Avoid not busy gas stations. Use the lowest octane available. Get out on the highway more often.

5300/200= ~27 tanks of fuel through its lifetime----~1-2 tanks a month:(

I've got 60,000 miles on a 2000 and get 300+ miles to the tank mixed driving. Still have original plugs. Oil/ATF is Mobil1. ATF changed every 10k miles. Oil changed every 5-7.5k. Air/fuel filters every year---3 times already and due for 2003!

Don't expect the warranty to fix every issue.

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
Poe99SE said:
Take it back to the dealer and refuse to accept it back until they fix it. Period. You have a warranty... make them stand by it. Investigate the lemon laws in your state. If you have documentation of all the problems - and how the dealership has not been able to fix them, you may be able to force them to buy the car back from you if they can't fix it. You'll just have to get tough with them - or they'll just continue to blow you off. I don't mean obnoxious/abusive either... take the high road, but be FIRM. Let them know the YOU KNOW the car is not right - and never has been - and that you're through putting up with it. Get a lawyer if necessary.

Good luck with it.
newbie ownz

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
shmang said:
Why not, if you are covered by warranty? Otherwise, why you need warranty. The dealer will do it for free to you but will charge Nissan based on a pre-negociated rate.
Uh , yea. That was my point. Warranty work keeps the service staff busy and generates steady cash flow for the dealer.

Of course it's free to the owner.

·
$nªþþe® Lªþþe®
154 Posts
Take that lemon back to the dealer you bought it from. They are like dogs. If they can intimidate you, they will. They see they've pushed you around this long, you're gonna hafta get tough wid 'em. Don't curse or threaten them, just be stubborn and consistent. You're already 1/2 way through your warranty, if they can push you off until it expires they will. That car should get 30 mpg highway, mine does. Keep taking it back right away if they don't fix it right. If no satisfaction, just tell them you are leaving it on their lot and you going to see an attorney. These are great little sedans and if yours was working right, I know you'd be happy with it. Be tough!

And, no, with that kind of mileage you don't need spark plugs or air filter yet unless you let it sit and idle all day. You should really drive it on interstate once in a while. If I only did 5k miles in 2yrs., I'd get me a bicycle!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the rough idling have anything to do with the poor gas mileage? I'm just a chick who has no idea what to do next with this car. Two months into owning this car it developed this rough idle when at a stop. I've had it to two Nissan dealerships 20 times and no one can figure out the problem. They say the rough idle is normal,but the car really shakes. I also have windows that rattle, carpet that is coming up, and a squeeky suspension. They have adjusted my idle so many times but it just gets worse each time and so does the gas mileage. I filed with the BBB and they sent an inspecter out to look at my car . Of course he couldn't find any of the problems except for the carpet coming up. So I stopped the arbirtration hearing because I knew I would never win.

I only drive the car about 8 miles a day unless it is the weekend.
I live close to work and am there most of the day.

I wish someone would just buy this car.
What do you think I could get for a 01 Gxe Le ruby with 5,300 miles on it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yea I forgot to tell you I had the oil changed at about 2500 miles just because I think it was 7 months old, not because of the miles. The car was also aligned because it was unaligned when I got it from the dealership.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
I feel sorry for you ank215. My '01 SE (my 2nd one since the first one had a cracked engine block and was declared a lemon) has been treating me fine for the past 34,000 miles. I've drivin' it to Florida, Ohio, Penn, Wash DC without problems.

And my car has not been to the dealer yet for warranty work.

Has anyone bothered to check the timing? Valve positioning?

When the engine got rebuilt in the lemon, the idle was bad and rough due to the valves not opening and closing properly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flarearrow,
I don't know what they do or don't do when I bring the car in, I think they think I'm just some crazy chick that dosen't know what she is talking about . I'm not crazy this car has not been right almost from the day I bought it. I just wish someone who really knows what they are doing would find the problem. All they do is hook the computer up to my car ,and because it throws no codes they say nothing is wrong with it.

I just want someone to buy the car so I could get something else .But I still owe about 11,000 on it and I don't know if I could get much more then that for it. I would like to get about 14,000.
The car still looks in good condtion and has 5,300 miles on it.

Thanks for feeling for me.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
ank215, maybe it's time to take the car to an independant place.

Do you know that dealer service h-a-t-e doing warranty work cause they don't make as much per hour compared to if you were paying out of your pocket.

I don't know if you want to make the haul over, but I have a guy that's pretty good at troubleshooting in Elmhurst Queens

A-1 Auto Diagnostic CNTR Corporation
7902 47th Avenue, Elmhurst, NY 11373
(718) 779-2288

Ask for Henry

1 - 20 of 84 Posts