The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my new to me 2016 Nissan Altima SR. Loving it so far. I've had it for about a week now. I'm noticing a popping sound coming from the front end when I'm sitting still and turn my steering wheel back and forth. It only takes about an 8th of a turn each way to hear the popping noise. I'm thinking maybe it's the tie rods. I've tried checking them for play with the car on the ground but it doesn't seem to have any. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at it. They did tell me at the last minute that it had been in a front end accident a while back, but you can't even tell. I think it was mainly cosmetic and I think they replaced the front bumper. Anyone have an idea?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,555 Posts
Could be many things...from strut bearings to ball joints, from endlinks to tie rods, from suspension bushings to steering rack....all of that crap moves. Personally I'd pay to have it looked at on a hoist by a suspension professional...which for me means taking it for a $100 alignment and see what comes back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had this issue with my 2013 3.5SL from day one. Dealer has changed springs and strut bearings a few times and it keeps coming back. Everyone that looks at the suspension tells me everything is tight and solid

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't take it to a dealership unless they're going to pay for the fix. They overcharge for everything and are often inept. It sounds like a tie rod, especially noting it was in a front end accident. It could be the inner or outer one. But as d0ugmac1 pointed out, it could also be many other things. Obviously from your post, you can tell it had been in an accident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts