Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Sealed Enclosure

Votes: 13 68.4%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay peeps, got a serious headache after listening to about a dozen different boxes. So what do the polls say, ported or sealed subwoofer enclosure, which is better?

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Sealed allll the way. But it also depends on what type of music you listen to, what power amp you are going to run, how much space you want to give up, and what type of woofer you get, b/c some work better sealed than ported and vice versa.

Sealed gives you tighter sound, punch plus boom, but not
as much boom as ported. You have to build a verrrry bix box to
fit a ported woofer, ported usually required twice as much air space as a sealed. power has to be alittle higher for ported, b/c you have to push harder against the sealed. ported requires less so you can play it more efficiently, but you get a looser sound.

So lots of things to take into consideration. I'm gonna show a few pix below....all of them are sealed. one is mine, one is my brother in law's, and the other is my boyfriends. all sealed.

·
Illest in Nebraska
1,168 Posts
That is more of an opinion poll, there is no way to tell which is better because you get into specifics, like what kind of music your getting in to, what design the box is, what speakers your using, hatchback vs. trunk, wattage. there is really alot of things when you get down to it. I prefer sealed over ported, but then again I like ported in other cases

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am looking to put one 12" in the trunk, something that will give me some nice deep bass. i am not looking to break windows or anything, just want a nice clean sound with some kick. i am more about quality than quantity

·
Illest in Nebraska
1,168 Posts
Sealed = Clean, reason being there is distortion inside the box and being sealed it can't get out so it acts as a filter, in a trunk ported it'll be louder but the distortion will come out but since it's in a trunk the rear seat acts somewhat like a filter but it still won't be as clean as a sealed inclosure.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It's a tool box, ya know? Different boxes have different applications..

But for daily listening? Sealed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
guys guys guys if ported sucks so bad why do almost ALL HIGH END home and some car speaker manufactures recomend ported??? weird ;)

if you have a PROPERLY tuned ported box the sub will sound extremely clean if not better than sealed

and zEk-sss if there is distortion then your sub is turned up too much ;) there is no distortion inside the box floatin around distortion is caused by the user not by the product if its up too loud thats your problem

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
I never said it sucked. I just said it has different facets to it.
For example, I'm not willing to give away 6cu ft for 2 15's for
ported, but I will give away 2.5cu ft :) I agree that tuning
and enclosure will make a good ported, never said it wouldn't.
We haven't even discusses port length or diameter yet.
But i prefer sealed. And in my opinion, sealed is cleaner than
ported.

LOUDSYSTEM said:
guys guys guys if ported sucks so bad why do almost ALL HIGH END home and some car speaker manufactures recomend ported??? weird ;)

if you have a PROPERLY tuned ported box the sub will sound extremely clean if not better than sealed

and zEk-sss if there is distortion then your sub is turned up too much ;) there is no distortion inside the box floatin around distortion is caused by the user not by the product if its up too loud thats your problem

·
Illest in Nebraska
1,168 Posts
LOUDSYSTEM said:

No No No, patna My sub isn't turned up to much, I know how to tune my system. Also It's caused by the user in some cases and there are many different types of distortion. I'm not the one having a problem, I'm just trying to help the man out. One more thing there is a difference between reccomending something and requireing, what high end companies are you talking about?? you said SOME car audio, They reccomend per product not brand.

·
SR20DE/sss
100 Posts
Depends on the speakers... there are some speakers that are designed for sealed box specs some on ported. Some are free air speakers. What speakers do you have? Then ask the manufacturer on what enclousure and volume was it designed for. Sealed boxes have lesser depth than ported boxes. Ported boxes have lesser kick than sealed boxes.

If you want additional depth on your sealed box speakers, the front end of the enclousure should face the rear end of the car. That way, your trunk will serve as a band pass creating a deeper
frequency...

If you want additional kick on a ported box, place the encllousure where the front end is facing the rear seats. That way, you will hear a harder kick from the inside of your car.

It really depends on what you want. Sealed boxes are designed to create hard punch low end. Ported boxes are designed to create deep rolling low end.

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
1,999 Posts
heres how it goes

it goes like this, it depends on many things:

1. Type of speaker
2. Type of sound you like
3. How much room you have

Like someone said eariler it depends on what type of speakers you have, some speakers are made only for sealed boxes or some need to be sealed.

If you like punchy hard hitting bass I would say go for a sealed box, they usally hit hard but they dont hit low fz very well.

If you like low bass go for ported, but you cant just go make a port anywhere you want on a box if you are making one. I would suggest buying a ported box, unless you know what your doing.
The ports have to be tuned right to get the right bass or it will just sound like shit! The bigger the box the lower the sound.

If you dont have much space go for a sealed box, small ported boxes dont sound good.

I would have to say go with bandpass if you have the space, they only really fit in SUV's or cars trunks, but they have some low ass bass if you get the right kind of box. I know this from exiperence, I had a small bandpass box with one 10' jbl and jbl sucks! it sounded like shit because the port for the box was in the wrong spot. I sold the box and got a dual 12'' bandpass box from q-logic i love the box to death it sound good as hell. it had 2 12'' jbl loud and clears. Those are pieces of shit if you dont know and i thought they sounded great.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
nobody mentioned bandpass yet....
Jay

·
KUSTOM SOUNDS OWNER
262 Posts
WHAT type of woofer are you planning on running.i am running a bandpass box that i desinged. give me your info and i will sugest something.
nizmo_97

1 - 20 of 30 Posts