The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Looks promising, would be nice if they made one for the Altima or a universal one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
That is just retarded. You want the turbo as close to the exhaust
ports as possible, otherwise its going to take too long to spool,
can you say turbo llllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, this setup is
total bullshit. With an intercooler, the piping for this kind of
a setup would be a nightmare and ridiculously inefficent, worried
about the heat, well thats what an intercooler and heat shields
are for, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Marten3.5 said:
That is just retarded. You want the turbo as close to the exhaust
ports as possible, otherwise its going to take too long to spool,
can you say turbo llllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, this setup is
total bullshit. With an intercooler, the piping for this kind of
a setup would be a nightmare and ridiculously inefficent, worried
about the heat, well thats what an intercooler and heat shields
are for, lol.
Take too long to spool? Well think of a garden hose with the water shut off. When you turn ON the water it takes a few seconds for the water to reach the end, once the water reaches the end of the hose you get a steady flow; Now crank up the faucet and you'll see the pressure build up instantaneously and more water will flow.

This TURBO is using the same concept. Takes a little time to get the first drop but once it gets there you have a constant flow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Your analogy is correct. However, you are pointing out exactly what he said in the begining. Lag is inherent with turbo settups... some moreso than others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turbo lag aside, i think its a great idea, and regarding the intercooler setup, you wont need one for this style.
 

·
Long Time Caller
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
I dont know about this. What you guys arent talking about is that to spool up the turbo, this isnt done just by exhaust gases flowing by, the majority of the spool up comes from the expansion of gases. This is what gives the turbo it's spool and cuts down on lag. You want your exhaust gases hot, and then to have a very open and less restrictive expansion chamber right after your turbo. This website promotes cooler turbo temps, which is true, the cooler the forced air the better, but that is what an intercooler is for. it will take care of the temp.
This is why tuners wrap there exhaust to keep in temp. Your engine creates energy, you use the mechanical energy directly, but ALOT of energy is lost in heat. With a turbo, you can use this energy that was originally lost. The more heat, the more energy. It is important to use this energy properly. Sure, problems can come from extremely hot exhaust gases, but when properly used, the hot exhaust gases are a big benefit.
Go with something that is proven. Greddy, Stillen, or others, but i think the standard turbo set up is the best.

And thier website has a lot of talk-up. They make tradional turbo set up sound "so terrible" compared to their new "great" idea
 

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
Joined
·
791 Posts
nissan2k2 said:
I dont know about this. What you guys arent talking about is that to spool up the turbo, this isnt done just by exhaust gases flowing by, the majority of the spool up comes from the expansion of gases. This is what gives the turbo it's spool and cuts down on lag. You want your exhaust gases hot, and then to have a very open and less restrictive expansion chamber right after your turbo. This website promotes cooler turbo temps, which is true, the cooler the forced air the better, but that is what an intercooler is for. it will take care of the temp.
This is why tuners wrap there exhaust to keep in temp. Your engine creates energy, you use the mechanical energy directly, but ALOT of energy is lost in heat. With a turbo, you can use this energy that was originally lost. The more heat, the more energy. It is important to use this energy properly. Sure, problems can come from extremely hot exhaust gases, but when properly used, the hot exhaust gases are a big benefit.
Go with something that is proven. Greddy, Stillen, or others, but i think the standard turbo set up is the best.

And thier website has a lot of talk-up. They make tradional turbo set up sound "so terrible" compared to their new "great" idea
They talk about your concerns in the FAQ on the STS web site. They cover them in depth. After looking around the site you can't deny that their system works. Like the old saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat" STS has just found another way to skin that cat, is it better than the first way? Not really, it is just different. Either way you cannot deny the results.
 

·
I wish I had a car
Joined
·
162 Posts
i read ls1 forums all the time and several of them run this kit. it is no joke. much easier to install than a normal turbo, header upgrades no longer are worth the extra $$, and best of all it has the best chance for a CARB # ^^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
nissan2k2 said:
This is why tuners wrap there exhaust to keep in temp. Your engine creates energy, you use the mechanical energy directly, but ALOT of energy is lost in heat. With a turbo, you can use this energy that was originally lost.
You gotta remember that heat isnt always a good thing. If your turbo is running hot so is the air going back into your intake which robs a ton of HP. Intercoolers cant change the temp that much, maybe a few degree when at idle.
 

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
Joined
·
791 Posts
nissan2k2 said:
^few degrees at idle? are you crazy? nevermind, i just put in my .02, im not going into a discussion on this and turbo basics.
On the website a LS1 engine at 5 psi gained almost 100 HP and some thing like 89 TQ. I don't see how you can deny results like that. The system works just like a regularly mounted turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
nissan2k2 said:
^few degrees at idle? are you crazy? nevermind, i just put in my .02, im not going into a discussion on this and turbo basics.
If your gonna act like you know it all you sure dont back your shit up. Intercoolers can only at best cool the air down to outside temp (if you know how an intercooler works you'd understand that, and know it will never happen). In order for it to work you need air moving through it. So at idle an intercooler isnt gonna do much. Plus they get heat saturated real fast so you can potentially warm the air up instead of cooling it down with an intercooler. Liquid-air intercoolers work a little better. However the best results i've seen have come from meth injection which is basically spraying meth into your intake to cool it down. <---very unconventional

This company isnt saying its better than a turbo....but its basically working on the same concept. So im sure it works pretty good. However there are of coarse some problems, im sure the turbo lag is still worse than a normal turbo like you mentioned. But just because its a difference set-up than a normal, dont automaticaly say its shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
Hey check out my thread about them I made in the performance section they called me and are interested in the altima. Sounds good, and its pretty cheap, 3200 for the universal kit, and about a 1000 to run the custom piping, but thats for the first person, after they know how to run it, it will be cheaper for future buyers, theses guys are extremely nice and took the time to call me and talk to me for about 30 minutes in a friendly manner. He even told me that they wont sell it to a person with a car it wont work with, which shows, atleast to me, so basic morals and honesty.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top